News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Neue Zeitschrift

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 25 September 2011, 21:55

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

If I mentioned this, I apologize.  I keep speaking of the Neue Zeitschrift fur Musik as though its old back issues can only be read at libraries onsite, in collections, etc. (unlike some of its competitors, the Allgemeine musikalische Zeitung, the Musical Times and Singing Class Circular, The Folio (Boston, MA, USA), Dwight's Journal of Music, quite a few other publications, ...etc., which at least in the USA can be read for many years' worth of volumes- many at Google Books.)  I forgot or did not know until a few days ago that very very many issues of the NZM / ZM have been digitized and uploaded to the Internet Archive - see Musical Periodicals (German Wikisource (not Wikipedia, NB); article is in German, translation of title is my poor attempt for "Zeitschriften (Musik)") which has links to really quite a few of these year by year- a good resource I do think. Some have been digitized by the library at Münich (MDZ-München.)  Worth reading the list- when looking for first or at least early (first is more difficult to prove this way...) performances and other things of interest to some of us dorks, and reviews and suchlike, or for works we've never heard of, sometimes we (I?) troll (prob. not the right word ...) contemporary journals...

Mark Thomas

Thank you Eric, this is a very valuable contribution. I shall have to brush up my German!

chill319

Great news! Easy access to Schumann's reviews and much more.

eschiss1

indeed- I like to think of these magazines as (biased, but through several different eyes) gateways into the music world (and other worlds touching on the music worlds) of - well, more than a century. Up to 1922 for US copyright for those like me affected by US copyright, and since magazines (not the NZM, but others with useful information, reviews, often fascinating... stored back to 1800 or so can be found it seems-- yes, I wasted many hours (hrm- well, more like hours a month, not hours total) in the late 90s looking over these...

(and as to brushing up on German, I only took 2 semesters, but have always believed- hopefully half-rightly :( - that when reading an under familiar language but reading about a very familiar subject, one can sometimes fudge it! Always double-checking, always being careful.)

Alan Howe

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 26 September 2011, 03:42
(and as to brushing up on German, I only took 2 semesters, but have always believed- hopefully half-rightly :( - that when reading an under familiar language but reading about a very familiar subject, one can sometimes fudge it! Always double-checking, always being careful.)

Very dangerous, if I may say so. You'll need more than a couple of semesters to know what you're doing reading a lot of 19th century musical commentary/criticism - or that of any era, for that matter. And translation programs often get German wrong as they can't cope with the case and word order problems posed by the language. Try asking Google to translate "Den Mann biss der Hund" (="It was the man the dog bit) - Google says: "The man bit the dog" WRONG!! - unless the man has werewolf tendencies. ;)

jerfilm

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 26 September 2011, 09:52
Quote from:  Google says: "The man bit the dog" WRONG!! - unless the man has werewolf tendencies. ;)
/quote]

Or rabies......

eschiss1

Well, we know there were a lot of werewolves hanging around in the very grim 19th century pre-German Germany (and post-Bismarck Germany, too.) Erm, I mean, no argument with you or Mark Twain there!