Who is Jacques-Alphonse De Zeegant?

Started by britishcomposer, Saturday 24 September 2011, 14:50

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

Some of his works will be broadcast by Concerzender next week. Cannot find anything about him online. Have you heard of him?

Peter1953

This is a contemporary Belgian composer, but I've never heard anything by him. For a French and English summary of his life and some works see here.
BTW, some works, like the PC and VC, are available on CD.

Belgianmusiclover

I registered just to answer to your question.  I'm very much acquainted with the composer and can tell you a bit more about his recent compositions.  Apart from the concerto for flute mentioned on the website of Sibel and his works on the booklet of his CD, he composed  four "Etudes-fantaisies" (of which two were played in Paris at the Théâtre du Châtelet on june 13th 2011, see link below).  Two of these études-fantasies ("Naufrage" and "Tétis") were supported by the Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles (Direction générale de la Culture, Service de la Musique). http://www.culture.be/index.php?id=1328

More recently he composed a ballet "L'Oiseau enchanté" (for future live execution with a ballet group) as well as a series of short piano pieces called "Scènes d'enfants".  Currently he's finishing an oratorio (in two parts) "Le mystère du Salut" which is due to be played in 2013.

Apart from composing he recently transcribed an ouverture to the opéra-comique "Hans, le joueur de flûte" by Louis Ganne for harmony orchestra.

An excerpt of his duo for piano and violin can be heard http://paris-inspired.com/2011/06/13/a-guys-eye-on-culture-de-zeegant/... don't mind the comments though  ;)  However it has to be said this composition does not have his "griffe".  He does not take into consideration contemporary trends but tries to stay in touch with the public through his music which is easily accessible, contrary to most of his contemporaries.On november 23th 2011 his work "Visioni" (based on excerpts of the apocalypse of John) was internationally created in Brussels.  Press article: http://www.festivocal.org/viva-voce/category/activites-du-choeur/

violinconcerto

Hello Belgianmusiclover,

it is good to hear that at least someone knows de Zeegant a bit more.
I would like to add some significant information about him and his violin concerto on my site, but was unable to find anything. Can you provide information about his year of birth, the year of composition of the VC, the publisher of the work, the instrumentation, date and performers of the world premiere or movement titles? Or do you know where I can get this information?
By the way I bought the CD with the violin concerto of course, but the tiny information inside the booklet forgot the main information about the composer and work and provided just blabla.

Best,
Tobias
www.violinconcerto.de

Belgianmusiclover

Hello Tobias,

Thank you for responding.  I will give you some more information I readily know.  More detailed information shall be posted later.

Composer's year of birth: 1955
The Violinconcerto was composed in 2006.
Parts:
I. Allegro - calmato andante - Allegro
II. Largo - Andante
III. Allegro - Andante - Allegro

The work has not yet been published but publication is planned in 2012.
Instrumentation: piccolo (1), flute (2), oboe (1), clarinet (1), bassoon (2), horn (2), trumpet (1), trombone (1), harp (1), 1st violins (6), 2nd violins (6), violin alto (4), cello (4), contrabass (2), triangle, tamtam, timpani.

The violin concerto has not yet been played in public.  It was recorded with the violinist Laurent-Albrecht Breuninger to whom the work is dedicated.

A website of the composer is due to published on the internet during 2012.   I will keep you posted  ;)

Kind regards,

violinconcerto

Thanks a lot for the information! I will update my database with the information!
By the way who are you, that you know so much about him?

Best,
Tobias

Peter1953

A few concertos are already released on a CD and one of them is a VC, see here.
Isn't that the VC you're talking about, Belgianmusiclover?

Belgianmusiclover

@ violinconcerto: Jacques-Alphonse De Zeegant is very good friend of mine.  It took just a phonecall to get the information you asked.

@Peter153: Indeed the concertos (violin & piano) I'm referring to are already recorded.  The piano concerto does remind me sometimes of Sergei Prokofiev, the music I fell in love with the first time I heard it (his 3rd pianoconcerto in the film "The competition" (1980).  When listening to the pianoconcerto as well as to his violinconcerto it is as if you are experiencing the music in a total balance, rather than hearing it... I can't explain it otherwise.

The flute concerto is still in it's composing stage.

Kind regards

Belgianmusiclover

A little rectification... the world premiere of the violin concerto took place in 2006 with Breuninger as soloist.

Belgianmusiclover

Chose promise, chose due... the website of Jacques-Alphonse De Zeegant is finally online  :)  http://www.dezeegant.com ... I hope you find the info you need  ;)