RPC - where next for British interest?

Started by albion, Sunday 25 September 2011, 11:08

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Where next for the British interest in RPC? The list of inclusion is now impressive -

Julius Benedict [British by adoption]
Walter Macfarren
Sterndale Bennett
Francis Bache
Alexander Mackenzie
Hubert Parry
Charles Villiers Stanford
Frederic Cowen
Frederick Delius
Arthur Somervell
Eugen d'Albert
Donald Tovey
Joseph Holbrooke
John Ireland
York Bowen
Haydn Wood

It would be good to see Cipriani Potter and possibly George Alexander Macfarren on the list and it would be exciting for the series to secure access to Sterndale Bennett's 6th. In more general terms, it would also be more than intriguing to hear something substantial by Percy Sherwood (the first Piano Concerto [1887] or the symphonies [1887, 1892, 1905-7]), or to have some of Henry Walford Davies' numerous concertante works on disc, whilst Holbrooke's second concerto should certainly be a strong candidate.

Beyond this, I'm struggling to think of unrecorded works that might be considered for further entries in the series. Any suggestions for other worthwhile British works that have extant performing material and fit the (loosely) 'Romantic' remit?

???

Gareth Vaughan

Roger Sacheverell Coke: 4th PC - MS Full Score & parts available (Chesterfield Library) - [the 3rd PC could be re-orchestrated from the 2-piano score, which Roger had published]
Frank Tapp: Symphonic Rhapsody - Introduction, double fugue & finale for two pianos & double string orchestra  [I have a photocopy of the MS of this piece]
Holbrooke: PC No. 3 (otherwise known as the "Dance" Symphony) - orchestra would have to be realised from 2nd piano part [though I have to say that neither this nor the PC No. 2 "L'Orient" are really Romantic - they sound nothing like the 1st PC]
D'Erlanger: Concerto Symphonique
Arthur Hinton: Piano Concerto
Dora Bright: PC in A minor + Variations on an Original Theme for piano & orchestra [MSS in RAM]
Dorothy Howell: Piano Concerto
Borowski: Piano Concerto
Henry Cotter Nixon: Konzertstuck for Piano & orchestra [MS at RCM]
Stanley Wilson: Piano Concertos 1 & 2 + Concerto in modo classico for piano & orchestra [MSS in RCM]
Baines: Poeme de Concert (MS)
Brian Easdale: Concerto Lirico {MS supposed to be in possession of Music Sales International)
Parish-Alvars: MS of at least one PC extant in RAM (supposed to have written 2)
Simon Waley: Piano Concerto [parts in BL]

Don't know if the performing material for these still exists - but they have been recorded so could, in theory, be reconstructed from the audio records:
Edward Isaacs: PC
Frank Merrick: 2 PCs

Additionally, the early PCs of Gaze Cooper - those called Concerti Symphoniques - may fall into the "Romantic" category. I have not seen the scores, but MS performance materials are held in the BMS Archive.

RoothamRVWFinzi

Hello Albion,

I would have to add some compositions by Cyril Bradley Rootham; a splendid composer who is one of my personal favourites:

Ode on the Morning of Christ's Nativity
Brown Earth
2nd Symphony

Regards,

Eric.

Gareth Vaughan

Albion's thread begins: "Where next for the British interest in RPC?" - so I think it is intended to be confined to British Romantic works for piano & orchestra that have not yet been recorded.

albion

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Sunday 25 September 2011, 12:42
Albion's thread begins: "Where next for the British interest in RPC?" - so I think it is intended to be confined to British Romantic works for piano & orchestra that have not yet been recorded.

Indeed it is, although a plea for more Rootham will always find favour with many forum members! These are certainly very interesting suggestions, Gareth, and it's good to see female representation on the list - given their idiom, it might be possible to also advocate Grace Williams' Sinfonia Concertante and Ruth Gipps' Concerto.

:)

Gareth Vaughan

Very much so for both Williams and Gipps.  Angela Brownridge has just finished recording the Ruth Gipps PC for Cameo Classics with the Malta Philharmonic.  The British Music Information Centre were supposed to have a set of parts for the PC, but these could not be found so David Kent-Watson of Cameo paid for a new set of parts to be produced from the full score, kindly supplied by David Wright.

albion

Great news about the Gipps recording, Gareth. I deleted the files of the 2nd and 3rd movements from BMB as they were unlistenable due to 'digital click' damage, but the 1st movement is still there for listeners who might want to acqaint themselves with (some of) this very attractive piece!

Have you any idea what will make up the rest of the Cameo disc?

;)

Gareth Vaughan

Yes. Kenneth Leighton's 1st PC (recorded at the same time as the Gipps) and some solo piano pieces by Ruth Gipps which have yet to be done. Recording of these solo pieces is currently scheduled for November.

jerfilm

Not being an indepth researcher, I have no knowledge of manuscripts or scores, but here are some additional British composers and their P & O works:

Ashton, Algernon  (1859-1937)  Piano Concerto
Barnette, John Francis  (1837-   Piano Concerto
Bruckshaw, Kathleen  (1877-192   Piano Concerto in C
Cusins, William  (1833-1893) Piano Concerto in A
Dalley-Scarlett, Robert  (1890  Piano Concerto
Delara, Adelina  (1872-19??)   Piano Concerto #1,#2
Ellicott, Rosalind  (1857-1924)  Fantasia for P&O
Farjeon, Harry   Phantasy Piano Concerto  Piano Concerto in D
Griffin, George  (1781-1863)  Piano Concerto #1,#2
Horseley, Charles   Piano Concerto in D
Jewson, Frederick  (1823-1891)  Piano Concerto #1,#2
Nixon, Henry  (1842-1907)  Konzerstuck for piano & orch
Reinagle, Carolyn  (1818-1892)  Piano Concerto
Waddington, S. P.  (1869-1953)  Piano Concerto
Walthew, Richard  (1872-1951)   Piano Concerto in Eb

Jerry

albion

Thanks, Jerry - some more interesting ideas! I'd certainly like to hear music by John Francis Barnett (1837-1916): Grove online gives principal orchestral works as follows -

Symphony, a, London, 1864
Ouverture symphonique, London, Philharmonic Society, 1868, rev. 1891
Piano Concerto, d, op.25, 1869, pf part (Leipzig, c1885)
Overture, The Winter's Tale, 1873
The Lay of the Last Minstrel, sym. poem (after W. Scott), Liverpool, 1874 (1874)
The Harvest Festival, suite, Norwich, 1881, rev. 1892 as Pastoral Suite
2 Sketches: Ebbing Tide and Elfland, London, Crystal Palace, 1883
2 Sketches: Flowing Tide and Fairyland, London, Crystal Palace, 1891
Liebeslied and Im alten Styl, London, Crystal Palace, 1895
Pensée mélodique and Gavotte, London, 1899 (Leipzig, 1899)
Concerto pastorale, fl, orch

- so it appears that the piano part (at least) of the concerto was published. As to an autograph or copyist full score ....

???

eschiss1

The full score of Barnett's Im alten Styl (published in 1897) is at IMSLP for what that's worth ... was it indeed initially part of a pair with the Liebeslied? Will want to note that in the entry there if so, as we only have the one work and it seems to be marked as a singleton- thanks.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteAshton, Algernon  (1859-1937)  Piano Concerto
Barnette, John Francis  (1837-   Piano Concerto
Bruckshaw, Kathleen  (1877-192   Piano Concerto in C
Cusins, William  (1833-1893) Piano Concerto in A
Dalley-Scarlett, Robert  (1890  Piano Concerto
Delara, Adelina  (1872-19??)   Piano Concerto #1,#2
Ellicott, Rosalind  (1857-1924)  Fantasia for P&O
Farjeon, Harry   Phantasy Piano Concerto  Piano Concerto in D
Griffin, George  (1781-1863)  Piano Concerto #1,#2
Horseley, Charles   Piano Concerto in D
Jewson, Frederick  (1823-1891)  Piano Concerto #1,#2
Nixon, Henry  (1842-1907)  Konzerstuck for piano & orch
Reinagle, Carolyn  (1818-1892)  Piano Concerto
Waddington, S. P.  (1869-1953)  Piano Concerto
Walthew, Richard  (1872-1951)   Piano Concerto in Eb

Of these listed no trace can be found of the following:

Algernon Ashton (MS probably destroyed during the blitz)
Kathleen Bruckshaw
Rosalind Ellicott (though all hope has not been given up yet here - Martin Eastick used to be in touch with the Ellicott family)

The University of Cambridge has a copy of the solo piano part of Barnett's (note spelling) D minor PC, Op. 25. No orchestral material listed on COPAC. But it was published by Kistner so there may be something in Germany - or Kistner may still have the parts in their archive (unlikely - but one never knows).

Harry Farjeon's Phantasy Concerto for piano and chamber orchestra was published by Stainer & Bell as part of the Carnegie Collection of British Music, and they should still have a set of parts. The printed 2-piano score is readily available in a number of British academic libraries.

A full set of parts for Griffin's Op. 1 PC (No. 1) is available in BL and elsewhere. BL and Cambridge University also list a Piano Concerto No. 3, Op. 6 - piano part only, in both cases. No sign of PC no. 2 on COPAC.

The 2-piano score of Cusins' concerto is in both BL and RAM (though BL may have only the solo piano part). No orchestral parts. It was published by Cranz in 1875 so there may be a set of parts in Berlin, Munich or another German library.

The Fisher Library at the University of Sydney contains a "Dalley-Scarlett Collection", so that might be a good place to look for his PC.

Charles Horsley's (note spelling) PC is Op. 24 in C minor (not D). The sadly incomplete MS full score is British Library. Ms. add. 71537 (key wrongly given as E flat). However, the Australian musicologist, Richard Divall (Horsley moved to Australia in 1861) has been doing extensive research on music by Anglo-Australian composers (among other things he published in 2003 a performing edition of Horsley's VC) and is probably the man to consult about this work.

BL has the solo piano part of Jewson's 2nd concerto; RAM has the 2-piano score. No orchestral material seems to be available. 1st PC not listed in COPAC.

I do not know the whereabouts of the scores and performance materials for the other works - apart from Henry Cotter Nixon's Konzertstuck, which I mentioned in my post above - but I do not think any of them was published, so locating them is going to be difficult (which is why I didn't mention these pieces). I would love to find the Fantasia in G and the 2nd PC of Dora Bright, for example, but exhaustive (and exhausting) searches by me and others have so far failed to bring them to light.  So much was lost during WWII or simply discarded by uninterested family members after the composer's death.  Jean Holbrooke told me that, if it hadn't been for Gwydion, all Joseph Holbrooke's unpublished scores would have been burnt as his other children had no interest in them.

If anyone knows the whereabouts of any of these concertos I would be most interested to be informed.

eschiss1

Walthew- there's a name I have not seen I think since browsing a trio of his in college... erm.
Anyway. Interesting list.
Scowcroft also mentions
Vallier, John (1920-91) - piano concerto in A minor
for instance?

And Rubbra's early concerto (and fragments of, including, I was told, one of his few forays into serial music?...), if they still exist, I think remain unrecorded (and may need completion?) but may also (at least for his fans, who admittedly, on this forum, may number in the half-dozens :)- me included though!) - be worth the effort.

Adding to a list and wondering...
*The Musical Times of January 1 1880 mentions a performance in November '79 of a piano concerto in C by Mr. Shakespeare (most likely the composer William Shakespeare 1849-1931, I think...)

Gareth Vaughan

Philip Scowcroft is always mentioning interesting sounding music by unsung British composers. The only trouble is he just reads about it and regurgitates what he's read. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred he has never seen the scores nor knows of their whereabouts. Useless, really.

eschiss1

Here I'm guessing his source is Lettice Buxton's article (The Musical Times, Dec., 1991, vol. 132, no. 1786, p. 599); if Buxton is still alive, one can perhaps write the author... (yes, yes, I know, or I could.)