News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Thomas Armstrong

Started by RoothamRVWFinzi, Saturday 01 October 2011, 19:32

Previous topic - Next topic

RoothamRVWFinzi

Hello everybody,

Yesterday, I retrieved the Chandos disc [Chan 9657] from my collection of music by Thomas Armstrong, and reacquainted myself with it. What a reveleation his music is, and this seems to be the only CD I know of which highlights his wor!!!! :'(

For anybody who has not heard this wonderful disc [Thomas Armstrong 1898-1994 - British composer], then try and get hold of a copy. You will not regret it!

I just wish a recording company would record some more of his music - perhaps a possibility for Dutton at some future time? ::)

Best wishes,

Eric.

M. Henriksen

Thanks for this valuable information. Don't ask me how I've not noticed this disc before now. I've heard the excerpts at the Chandos website and read the booklet. I'll get hold of a copy for sure, this was a pleasent surprise on a Saturday evening!
Can you tell us what more Armstrong has composed?

Morten

albion

Quote from: M. Henriksen on Saturday 01 October 2011, 20:40Can you tell us what more Armstrong has composed?

Morten

I've been searching, but found no information beyond that in the Chandos blurb - tried Grove, obituaries, etc. but all seem to concentrate more or less exclusively on his role as an administrator rather than a composer ....

Perhaps Gareth might know more?

???

Dundonnell

Armstrong's son, Lord Armstrong of Ilminster, who was Ted Heath's Principal Private Secretary and Secretary of the Cabinet under Margaret Thatcher, will know a lot more ;D

He often pops up in TV documentaries about the politics of the 70s and 80s but I doubt he is necessarily a member of this forum ;D

M. Henriksen

Well, thanks for the help anyway! Seems he was a busy man with not much time for composing, maybe Chandos have covered his main works on that disc?

Morten

Gareth Vaughan

I believe that, after his student days, Armstrong concentrated on vocal music - insofar as he did much composing at all. There is a lovely Te Deum and a good Mag. and Nunc. It would appear that the orchestral works recorded by Chandos are just about all he did of that type.