Unsung Romantic Cello Concertos

Started by Peter1953, Wednesday 02 September 2009, 22:04

Previous topic - Next topic

peter_conole

Hi all

The first movement of number 1, op 65 is listed as 'moderato con moto' on the covers of both the Koch and MDG (2003) recordings.

The notes for both recordings are not very helpful. Not a word about Davydov (I am willing to bet Jiml is right). The dates of composition are also a little wobbly. It was not an early pendant to Schumann's 1850 concerto, as the MDG liner notes claims. The cover also gets the opus number wrong, but the date in the notes is at least correct (1864). Reference works I have checked plus an online list of Rubinstein's works place no 1 in 1864. No 2 arrived in 1874.

regards
Peter

Marcus

Mention of the Grieg concerto transcribed for Cello, reminds me that there is also a transcription of his piano concerto, transcibed for Double Bass.  It is on the ABC label.
That might start a new topic ? Transcribed Concerti ?
Just a couple of additons to the Cello Concerto repertoire:
A.Sullivan (1842-1900) Cello Concerto in D (reconstructed by Charles Mackerras& David Mackie)(3 mvts 17'27")
E.Elgar   (1857-1934)      "         "         in  E minor,
L.Boccherini (1743-1808) "         "         in B flat,
G.M.Monn  (1717-1750)   "         "        in G minor
F.Delius     (1862-1934)    "         "
E. Hartmann (1836-1898) "        "         in D minor op26 (1879)(Danacord DACOCD  508)
G.Helsted (1818-1904)     "         "        in C major op35  1919)(       '        DACOCD   537)

The Dvorak Cello Concerto no1 in A major is on the Supraphon Label (#SU 3564-2 011)(Instrumentation Jarmil Burghauser, revision of cello part Milos Sadlo) It is in 3 movements, lasting 33'19", and, as you would expect, does not even approach the quality of the B minor concerto.
Marcus

TerraEpon

There's a recording of the original version of the Dvorak, with piano, also on Supraphon. It's about 15 minutes longer.

Also, I believe there's one or two versions of Schubert's Apreggione Sonata with orchestral backing...

FBerwald

I have had the Sullivan Concerto for quite some time now. Its simply beautiful. Its coupled with His Symphony.

There is of course the Raff Cello concertos - Absolutely gorgeous stuff!!!

Ps. Did Wieniawski write a cello concerto? if so are there or has there ever been any recording of it?

Marcus

I don't think that Henri Wienawski wrote any works for cello, at least not a concerto. I have searched my sources, and can't come up with anything. His brother, Josef , (1837-1912), didn't write a concerto for cello either, although he did write a Piano Concerto in G minor op20, a Symphony in D minor op49, plus symphonic poems, sonatas, chamber music & songs. A nephew Adam, (1876-1950), wrote in most genres, but like Josef, no cello concerto.
Someone out there with a more extensive music library than mine, might provide a different answer.
Joseph's Piano Concerto was played on ABC radio many years ago, and when I saw it listed in the monthly program guide, I phoned to check if it was a misprint. I only knew one Wienawski !
Marcus.

Marcus

Re my reply #32, regarding Grieg's Piano Concerto transcibed for Double -Bass. I do not have this CD, but I clearly remembered seeing it on the shelves at a CD store in Melbourne 7-8 years ago, and remember the "Concerto for Double-Bass & Orchestra in A minor by Grieg- transcribed by Gary Karr". Gary Karr is the well non Double-Bass player, and features on this disc. I checked the ABC catalogue, after I had posted my reply, (I think it is called "foot in mouth" syndrome), and discovered that this Double- Bass Concerto is in fact , a transcription of Grieg's Cello Sonata in A minor op36.  The "A minor"is to blame - that's my story anyway !
Sorry folks if I caused any undue excitement. Should anyone intend rushing out to buy, the CD details:ABC CD #438 612-2. It contains the Grieg, plus Wilfred Joseph's (b1927),Concerto op118 & Stuart Sankey's(b1927) Carmen fantasy after Bizet.
Finally, a bouquet for Mr Grieg : I have a number of recordings of his Symphony in C minor, and inspite of the perceived imperfections (by Grieg himself),& reservations of some critics, I fnd it to be lush romantic work (yes a little lightweight ), and an interesting record of Grieg's early development. I, at least enjoy this work, &  play it more often than some of the other Grieg compositions.

Marcus.

Marcus

Three more Cello Concertos, and I can recommend them :
Eugene d'Albert (1864-1932) Cello Concerto in C major op20 (Pan) (thanks JimL)
Lodewijk de Vocht (1887-1977) Cello Concerto in D minor (Marco Polo)
D. Tovey (1875-1940) Cello Concerto op40 (Toccata)

Marcus.

JimL

The d'Albert concerto is in C, not D.  So is the Tovey.

peter_conole

Hi all

A couple of really fine romantic cello concertos need to be added to the list - and they were composed by a gent who was is right up there in contention for the position of 'greatest violinist virtuoso/composer of the 1800s'. Henri Vieuxtemps. His no 1 dates from 1876, his number 2 from 1880. Two recordings of them I know of, released by EMI and Cypres.

I would also include relatively short but very attractive unsung concertos by August Klughardt (1894) and Alexander Grechaninov (1895). 

regards
Peter

chill319

Enescu's Sinfonie Concertante, opus 8 (1899) -- a concerto in all but name -- impressed me on first hearing, less on subsequent hearings. But it's a bargain on Arte Nove. Anyone else have an opinion?

JimL

There is also a rather attractive Konzertstuck for cello in D by Erno von Dohnanyi, his Op. 12, I believe.  It's available on Naxos, IIRC. 

chill319

Marcus, the notion of a double bass transcription of Grieg's op. 16 reminds me of hearing, years ago, that a British string quartet (it was named but memory fails me) had played a droll arrangement of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, using cork guns for the climactic artillery.

Marcus

Oops again JimL ! - brain fatigue - the memory in not what it used to be, I definately showing my age ! But I hope I got the message across. With the multitude of music in my head, it is better not to rely on memory, as I often do.
Marcus.

Christopher

Does anyone know if the Cello Concertos 3 and 4 by Karl Davydov have ever been recorded?

eschiss1

Quote from: Christopher on Friday 04 June 2010, 13:14
Does anyone know if the Cello Concertos 3 and 4 by Karl Davydov have ever been recorded?

A recording is on its way/has just come out (Wen-Sinn Yang, Shanghai Symphony Orchestra / Terje Mikkelsen) according to MDT...before that, I don't know.
Eric