News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Anna Kuzina (1984 - )

Started by Gerhard Griesel, Wednesday 12 May 2021, 17:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerhard Griesel

The recent discussion on Corentin Boissier reminded me to check whether we have a thread on Anna Kuzina (1984 - )

Anna Kuzina is a Ukrainian romantic composer, not to be confused with the Ukrainian actress of the same name. Some years ago YouTube asked me whether I would like to look at her compositions, and it was a very pleasant discovery. Here are some examples of her numerous works on YouTube (I use their English titles):

Piano Concerto

Symphony-Concerto for Viola and Orchestra

The Melody for Soul No. 1 to 10 (possibly an incorrect translation – rather Soul Melody?)

Breath of Life

In Memoria for bass, mixed choir and orchestra

Spring awakening

Psalm 76: My voice is unto God for mixed choir

I'll be Young for bass and piano.

The PC is an impressive romantic work; many of her works are tranquil, like the Soul Melodies, which are beautiful pieces with varying orchestration; there are often religious themes, like psalm settings, and a preference for the bass soloist.

It would be nice if someone could give us a more complete list of compositions.

Mark Thomas

Gerhard introduced me to Kuzina's Piano Concertoc a few days ago, and I've really enjoyed getting to know it. It's a convincing work in a single movement, quite muscular in places but contrasted with lyrical episodes and always in a lush, late romantic idiom. Well worth exploring on YouTube.

Christopher

Quote from: Gerhard Griesel on Wednesday 12 May 2021, 17:46
The recent discussion on Corentin Boissier reminded me to check whether we have a thread on Anna Kuzina (1984 - )

Anna Kuzina is a Ukrainian romantic composer, not to be confused with the Ukrainian actress of the same name. Some years ago YouTube asked me whether I would like to look at her compositions, and it was a very pleasant discovery. Here are some examples of her numerous works on YouTube (I use their English titles):

Piano Concerto  ...

Can you give the links Gerhard? Sounds interesting.

Gareth Vaughan

I just put her name into the Search on YouTube and the available works come up.

Gerhard Griesel

Christopher, my list is compiled simply from a YouTube search. I can't seem to find other recordings. Especially the PC deserves a proper studio recording.

Christopher

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Thursday 13 May 2021, 12:54
I just put her name into the Search on YouTube and the available works come up.

I don't doubt it Gareth, I just would encourage people, if they make reference to a recording on youtube, also to provide the link (especially as there might be more than one performance of a piece). I am also aware that this reads narkily, but it's certainly not written in that frame of mind, I just think it would be a sensible and considerate thing to do.

Gareth Vaughan

I agree. It is good practice.

Mark Thomas

In the spirit of good practice, here is the list of works mentioned by Gerhard, each linked to a recording on YouTube:

Piano Concerto
Symphony-Concerto for Viola and Orchestra
The Melody for Soul No. 1 to 10
Breath of Life 
In Memoria for bass, mixed choir and orchestra 
Spring awakening 
Psalm 76: My voice is unto God for mixed choir 
I'll be Young for bass and piano

The recordings of the Piano Concerto and the Viola Symphony-Concerto are from Correntin Boissier's invaluable collection, but the live performance videos from which they are taken are also available on YouTube, and in the case of the Piano Concerto, the soloist is Kuzina herself. 

Alan Howe

It's good practice, I agree. But so is getting used to doing one's own searches.

Mark Thomas

Gareth Vaughan

Indeed. I recall one individual, no longer a member of this forum, who seemed quite incapable of doing even the simplest research and expected other members to supply him with answers to questions which he could very easily have found for himself. Anyway, enough said on this grumbly little topic - let's move on.