Stanford from Hyperion

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 06 July 2011, 17:29

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 15 October 2011, 13:44Stanford's Choral Ballad "Phaudrig Crohoore"(1895)

Fantastic - thanks, Colin - it's one of several works that I've sent out a search party for in the past!

;D

Alan Howe

Quote from: Albion on Saturday 15 October 2011, 10:46
Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 15 October 2011, 09:34worth purchasing if you like this attractive, but derivative music.

Lovely, I can't get enough of it!

;D

I suspect that this modest piece will not bear a huge number of repetitions...

Mark Thomas

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 15 October 2011, 14:55I suspect that this modest piece will not bear a huge number of repetitions...

It's had a fair few since it was purchased on the day of release!

For a more echt-Stanfordian style I would try the later Irish Rhapsody No.3 or Ballata and Ballabile.

;)

Alan Howe

It's not major Stanford - at least not from what I remember of the Lyrita release. Whereas the 1st Symphony...........

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 15 October 2011, 17:25
It's not major Stanford - at least not from what I remember of the Lyrita release. Whereas the 1st Symphony...........

If you're referring to the Cello Concerto, of course it's not major Stanford. For that you have to wait until the mid-1880s at least. But it is still attractive, and an extraordinary achievement for a young composer writing virtually in a native vacuum in terms of concertos of any substance.

;)

Alan Howe

Quote from: Albion on Saturday 15 October 2011, 23:38
an extraordinary achievement

It's not quite good enough music in my book to qualify for that description. Let's agree to disagree...

Alan Howe

A lovely summing-up of the predominant attitude on this forum...

albion

... and, what's more, drawn by one of my favourite illustrators -

:)

Lionel Harrsion

Ironically, Gilbert was the last person to 'agree to disagree' with anyone as D'Oyly Carte, Sullivan and Edward German could readily have testified!