News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Is Niels Gade unsung?

Started by monafam, Friday 10 July 2009, 01:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Welcome, Dennis, it's good to have you join us on the forum!

monafam

DennisS:

Thanks for your reply.  I have only listened to the Berwald symphonies.  I really enjoyed each of them -- so it was definitely worth it.   I went a different direction on Gade and haven't purchased anything yet, but I might the next time I get some music.  As for Rott, I think it was brought up by someone else and I was curious to know more about him -- as of yet, I haven't purchased anything by him either.

Thanks for your comments as well! 

DennisS

Dear Alan

Thanks for your words of welcome. As one German teacher(I also teach French) to another, it's been a hectic year and it's so good to now be on school holidays.

I've read many of the postings by yourself and other members and it will be very stimulating to exchange views on not just Gade but also on other lesser known composers, a number of whom I've discovered for myself in the past 12 months (CPO are doing a great job) and all being discussed on this site.

Kind regards
Dennis

Alan Howe

You're welcome, Dennis. Actually I am now retired (early), but I wish you mental and physical refreshment over the next six weeks or so. I certainly needed the summer holidays during my teaching career.

Anyway - keep on listening and keep on posting. It'll be good to exchange views with you...

Hovite

Quote from: DennisS on Thursday 23 July 2009, 00:31Gade : I have all the symphonies and some orchestral pieces. I sort of like his music but it doesn't really move me in the sense that I have to keep re-visiting his work. I do of course prefer some of his symphonies more than others. For me, no 1 is perhaps the best?

I think that context is important. Gade was influenced by Mendelssohn, and especially his Scottish works. Gade's breakthrough came with Echoes of Ossian, inspired by Scots poems, supposedly written by an ancient Celtic bard named Ossian, but more probably recent fakes, concocted by the chap who pretended to find and translate them.

Quote from: DennisS on Thursday 23 July 2009, 00:31Berwald : Again,  I have all the symphonies and am very keen on him. There is a lightness, deftness of touch with his music which I find very appealing.

Berwald is an absolute delight.

Quote from: DennisS on Thursday 23 July 2009, 00:31Rott : I bought the cd of his symphony because of the connection made to Mahler, particularly with reference to Mahler quoting from Rott. Mahler is one of my favourite composers and I had to listen to the Rott. Whilst I found the symphony interesting and was able to detect a couple of references to Mahler

Except that Rott's symphony predates the earliest surviving symphony of Mahler by a decade.