News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Your Reference Library

Started by albion, Tuesday 18 October 2011, 17:55

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Quote from: semloh on Friday 21 October 2011, 13:23Which British composer, would you say, is the most interesting from a biographical point of view?

I'd be lying if I said Frederic Cowen or York Bowen (though it's tempting to - just for the hell of it).

;D

Definitely Malcolm Arnold, followed by Havergal Brian and Rutland Boughton.

:o

Quote from: semloh on Friday 21 October 2011, 13:23BTW, I just went to the charity shop in town and found an 'as new' hardback copy of The New Grove Dictionary of Women Composers (1994) for $8 .... ;D ;D ;D

Great find - moments like that make life worthwhile!

;)

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Friday 21 October 2011, 13:30
David Wright seems fascinated by Elgar as well......no, "fascinated" is not the right word at all.....repulsed, obsessed would be better.

Something about bloomers, if I recall ??? :o  I just stop reading him at this point ;D
I think Dr Wright must have 'seen something nasty in the woodshed'!

albion

Quote from: Albion on Friday 21 October 2011, 15:26
Quote from: semloh on Friday 21 October 2011, 13:23BTW, I just went to the charity shop in town and found an 'as new' hardback copy of The New Grove Dictionary of Women Composers (1994) for $8 .... ;D ;D ;D

Great find - moments like that make life worthwhile!

;)

Just been up in Yorkshire for the weekend, including a visit to the Brontë Parsonage Museum at Haworth - and obtained Arthur Jacobs' Henry J. Wood - Maker of the Proms for £8 (RRP £20) at one of the second-hand bookshops which line the steep main street (in-between the innumerable 'themed' tea-shops)...

Quote from: Albion on Thursday 20 October 2011, 18:06... but they're certainly effective as wall-insulation.

:)

... well, they have forecast a severe winter.

;)