Willem Pijper: Symphony no. 1 "Pan"

Started by LateRomantic75, Sunday 29 December 2013, 01:53

Previous topic - Next topic

LateRomantic75

While Pijper's later works fall outside the remit of this forum, his late-romantic First Symphony, composed in 1917, would not. In my estimate, it is a most impressive work which draws upon Mahler as its primary influence, though its duration of 33 minutes is not long by late-romantic standards. Though the influence of the great Austrian symphonist can be felt significantly in the work's harmonic language, it is, overall, not as melodramatic as Mahler (not to disparage Mahler, of course). Some passages show that Pijper was well aware of the impressionistic trends of the time, adding a Debussian delicacy to the work. Do give this fine piece a listen, especially if you're a late-romantic symphony nut like I am! Here's the link: http://youtu.be/KfSev1yslxU

sdtom

Alan Howe

My impression has always been that it's warmed-over Mahler. Interesting from that point of view, but essentially derivative. Similarly interesting with regard to early influences is Matthijs Vermeulen's 1st Symphony. Must have been something in the Dutch water of the time...