Schubert adaptations/orchestrations

Started by Balapoel, Friday 03 January 2014, 02:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

There's also the arrangement for string orchestra of the String Quartet D.887 done by Victor Kissine:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schubert-String-Quartet-G-Major/dp/B000A0XRYQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1388958410&sr=8-11&keywords=schubert+kremer
Not sure if it really works, but...

eschiss1

Is the Mahler orchestration more than adding basses in some places, a few things like that (not to be deprecated when done with Mahler's ear for when and where, of course, as proven in part by any number of poor examples)?

LateRomantic75

I don't know for sure, Eric, but I don't think Mahler did much, if anything, to alter the Schubert except add basses. Mahler wasn't one to tamper too much with music. Take his "re-orchestrations" of the Schumann symphonies, for example. He did nothing to them but lighten up the orchestration a bit.

eschiss1

I was considering bringing the "retouchings" up directly in connection.  The orchestras of the early 19th century - the instruments, the orchestral composition, performance practice, the concert-hall acoustic- in some cases are known to have been, in some cases I believe (I may be mistaken) may have been somewhat to very different from even just a few decades later; pieces that did actually sound well , or well enough, at one time, sounded worse if _no_ adjustment was made. Mahler's are well-known I think again because he probably did a better job of them and because it's easier to market his than, say, Hellmesberger's (which I incline to think also existed) or Weingartner's (I'm quite positive he made adjustments to the Beethoven symphonies before conducting the first recorded cycle of the 9 of them- not from having heard them, though I should! :) - just- it makes sense, is all :) ...). (... &c.) (This not entirely from me, but from Forsyth writing in the early 20th century, from a Fanfare reviewer of the Tiboris recording of the Mahler "retuchen"- some of it from me based on, etc. ...)

(Ok, there might be some interest in Weingartner's, given that his arrangements - of Schubert, Beethoven, etc. works- and of course his Berlioz edition- were published; he was certainly editor and conductor and composer and writer, not just one of the four... anyway. And Schubert was in there, unless I miss my guess... let's see- what Schubert did Weingartner work on besides the obvious (Symphony in E sketches)... hrm. ah right, some lieder, also...)

also, what is -this-...

"Schneewittchen : Oper in 8 Bildern" (Schubert/Otto Maag/"einrichtung von Felix Weingartner")

Balapoel

Quote from: John H White on Sunday 05 January 2014, 16:41
I've a feeling that Schubert, these days, can hardly by called an unsung composer. Mind you, I'm still a keen fan of his and find this current thread really worthwhile.

Well, this forum includes unsung composers and unsung music by sung composers... :D

Alan Howe

I imagine that John knows that. He obviously appreciates the thread too.