News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Robert Hermann

Started by Syrelius, Sunday 13 September 2009, 14:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrelius

At aboth the same time as Sterling released their Noskowski CD they also released a CD containing the two symphonies by Swiss composer Robert Hermann. Noskowski has received well deserved attention and praise from a number of members of this Forum. I have not seen any comments on the Hermann CD, though.

In my opinion, Hermanns two symphonies are rather uneven and especially the first sometimes balances on the border to light music. However, there are also moments of great beauty in both symphonies. Have any other members listened to this CD?

Alan Howe

Yes! No.1 is slowly working its way into my affections. The composer seems to have an original voice - this is attractive 'outdoor' music, whereas No.2, with its greater quirkiness, has yet to 'settle' for me (which simply means that I've got more work to do...)

A typically adventurous release from Bo Hyttner, though. Many congratulations to him and to Chris Fifield who had quite a job with the scores, I think.

febnyc

Where can this CD be purchased?  I find it listed only at the JPC (cpo) site - and the price, plus their flat shipping charge to the USA, is much too high.

Has anyone found the Robert Hermann (one "r" in the surname, by the way) disc offered anywhere else?

Alan Howe

Thanks for noticing the mis-spelling - duly corrected.

The CD itself doesn't seem to be widely available - yet.

black

Though I share Alan's admiration for Bo Hyttner's efforts I find precious little that grips my attention when hearing these symphonies. The music is going on and on and invites merely to mindless listening. Afterwards nothing remains.

Alan Howe

I don't agree at all. Obviously Bo has had the odd 'miss', but the Noskowski is a bullseye (IMHO, of course) and the Hermann is more than interesting enough to have warranted a release on CD.

Mark Thomas

I know that Black wasn't criticising Sterling as such, just the Hermann symphonies CD, but I'll saunter to Bo's defence nonetheless. Of course, in any exploration of the unknown, there are going to be some also rans (personally I'm not over excited by the Robert Herrmann symphonies either), but Sterling has had more than its fair share of hits. The commercial risks which Bo Hyttner takes bringing this unknown repertoire to market are very substantial and all credit to him for doing so. We are all in his debt.

black

Let me make it clear that I think - probably like most members of this forum - that Sterling does a terrific job in bringing the unknown and forgotten repertoire to the market! No question about that! It just that I find these symphonies by Hermann not very appealing. If I am the only one, so be it. It means Sterling has, again, made the right decision.

Mark Thomas

As I hope I made clear in my post, I can't say that for me the Hermann symphonies go much beyond the pleasant either.

Alan Howe

I'm thoroughly glad to have No.1: it's slowly working its way into my affections. I'll need to listen a few more times to No.2, however.

I've made this point before, though: some music, whether sung or unsung, just takes longer to appreciate. I know I myself have to be very careful not to rush into an early (especially negative) opinion without having given myself time to get to know the music. I remember (I think!) how long it took me to appreciate Brahms 3...

Alan Howe

...well, it's been a long time since I listened to Hermann's symphonies, in particular the occasionally quirky, but often sublime No.2. And that's my point. I obviously left his 2nd Symphony without exploring it thoroughly and now it strikes me as a far more significant work than it did before. In the first place, the idiom is interesting: yes, there is something of Bruckner in the work's rather deliberate gait and orchestration (especially the brass writing), maybe even of Wagner (Parsifal). But there is also a bucolic, pastoral tone to the music which is wholly original, as well as a sense of exultation which looks forward to, say, Janacek. All in all it has been good to return to this music. The lesson for me? First assessments are often unreliable...

Mark Thomas

As one who often rushes into an early (and all too often negative) assessment of unknown music, I clearly need to dig out my copy of the CD and try again with these two. thanks, Alan.

Alan Howe

No.2 is the more striking piece.

Mark Thomas

Balapoel

I'm glad to see folks coming around. I posted a few years back this piece:

http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,890.0.html

I have to say, I've rarely been affected on a first-hearing of symphonic works, but I think Robert Hermann's first symphony (on Sterling) is amazing. Sumptuous harmonies (particularly in that slow first movement) that are warm, cool, eerie, yet calm and contemplative...  And you get the feeling of a journey completed by the end. It definitely was an experience.