Greek music

Started by theqbar, Tuesday 25 October 2011, 16:42

Previous topic - Next topic

theqbar

I can't  find words to thank you for this symphony, i've been looking for it for years! I'm sorry that i don't have something to share with you, if you like this one, then check out the first symphony of Kalomiris (which is his most famous work, along with the opera "The Mother's Ring") http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pmBEWmwPIc&feature=related   the entire work can be found there. Thanks a lot again, you made my day!

lechner1110

Hello theqbar,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed my upload.
  I have two recording of Kalomiris's Symphony no.1   ( Caridis and ORF , Fidetzes and Sofia Philharmonic)
  I like this dramatic symphony very much!

And I like his Symphonic Concerto for Piano and Orchestra very much.
  This work also you can listen at Youtube ;)

Dundonnell

....and Naxos has, of course, issued the Third Symphony "Palamian" :)

eschiss1

same conductor, and another CD besides- just asked about in another thread in the other forum, yes :) (though with the conductor's name transliterated from the Greek very slightly differently, careful search-people.) (edit - Greek, conductor was born in Thessaloniki.)

eschiss1

hrm. though the CD was missed here, there was a CD reissue, I think, of the Kalomiris 2nd symphony recording- it's at Harvard's Loeb Library, coupled with a string quartet of his apparently. Label Lyra CD 0063, 1991. ("Athēna : Hetaireia Genikon Ekdoseōn : Lyra, p1991.")

lechner1110

I locked this file by Eric.
  I checked musicweb website before my upload, but there is no information of re-issue CD.
  http://www.musicweb-international.com/Balkan_discography/ECE_Balkan_Symphonies1.htm#KALOMIRIS

In any case, I will check about release information more carefully. Sorry.

eschiss1

So much out there I now - am going to go over my own directories with a finer-toothed comb... :)

Mark Thomas

I've deleted Atsushi's original post. Thanks for your vigilance, Eric, and for your cooperation, Atsushi.

theqbar

Regarding the cd reissue, i can assure you that it's deleted from the label's catalogue, it's not sold anywhere in Greece (i've searched every record shop in Athens and Thessaloniki for almost a year) and i have not been able to buy it online. Even an online shop that featured it in its catalogue, when i ordered it they answered me that it's deleted.
  Anyway, thanks A.S for the effort. I have the other two recordings of the first symphony (written between 1918-20). The final movement, as you may already know, is a setting of a famous byzantine hymn gloryfying Virgin Mary for saving Constatinople after a siege. This hymn is very famous, every Greek knows the verses, and it is still chanted in Orthodox masses.
   Something that you may not know is that Kalomiris was deeply influenced by the poet Kostis Palamas (whose verses are used in the 2nd and 3rd symphonies, and to whom the 1st symphony is dedicated). Also the very interesting song cycle "May herbs" (1909-14) is based on poems by Palamas.
   And of course, if you like Wagner's operas, look for Kalomiris opera "The Mother's Ring" (1917), it's the most famous greek opera and the composer was the first to abandon the italian style that was predominant until then.

lechner1110

theqbar,  Thanks for your opinion about my upload.
  It is very difficult problem about CD recording which is out of production .
  I think we should not take a risk,  for our valuable forum keeping.

Anyway, Kalomiris's first symphony is one of my favorite ' Unsung symphony '. So I agree your impression  :)
  I have two recordings which I mentioned before , but I hope to listen new recording.

I don't have recording of  his Opera. But I'm very interest in "The Mother's Ring".

Thanks!

gpdlt2010

I would like to listen to Kalomiris's wonderful Magic Herbs, a most beautiful song cycle. Hope somebody posts it.

Dundonnell

I have found a recording in my collection of Kalomiris's Symphonic Poem "The Death of the Heroine".

Anyone interested?

lechner1110

Dundonnell

Ok. I have posted the link for the Kalomiris Symphonic Poem. I don't seem to see a Greek Music section so I have just posted it under the composer's own name.

I don't know the orchestra but the conductor is identified in the BBC announcer's introduction. I will have to rely on someone else being able to supply an accurate spelling though. I am not prepared to attempt an approximation and am too tired to search any longer on the net.

mikehopf

You can order many Kalomiris recordings from the following distributor:

www.musical.gr

I will be uploading older versions ( not commercially available) of his Symphony No.1 and " Magic Herbs" for Voice & Orchestra following requests from some members.