News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Robert Fuchs

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 26 October 2011, 22:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Yes, agreed. We need better recordings of the Fuchs symphonies than those on Thorofon. And I'm glad to hear from a conductor that Swarowsky was indeed a fine practitioner of the art.

Here's a detailed (and fascinating) article about Swarowsky's recorded legacy:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Jul14/Swarowsky_forgotten.htm

Gauk

I find Fuchs a greatly under-rated composer. He may not be showy, but I find his music to be solid, characterful, and most satisfying on repeated listening.

minacciosa

Fuchs still hasn't had his day; he is a far, far better composer than most know. Particularly in the realm of chamber music, I would consider him nearly the equal of Brahms or any others of his generation. His later works are particularly exquisite. Fuchs has not been especially well served on recordings; the Thorofon symphonies come to mind. So, do keep an open mind; there are treasures here to be discovered.

Alan Howe

Agreed. Fuchs' achievement lies predominantly in the field of chamber music - which means, in my view, that he will probably never 'have his day'. The symphonies are enjoyable, but not great works: there are finer unsung late-nineteenth century symphonists. So I think Fuchs will always remain a minority pursuit.
Having said which, I'd forgotten the PC. Now that's a really fine piece...

Gauk

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 19 July 2014, 17:06
Agreed. Fuchs' achievement lies predominantly in the field of chamber music - which means, in my view, that he will probably never 'have his day'. The symphonies are enjoyable, but not great works: there are finer unsung late-nineteenth century symphonists. So I think Fuchs will always remain a minority pursuit.
Having said which, I'd forgotten the PC. Now that's a really fine piece...

It is, and was reviewed rather dismissively when the Hyperion recording appeared. But it was his chamber music that first attracted me to Fuchs, and I agree that such as indeed his pre-eminent metier.

That said, I have been enjoying the orchestral serenades recently, especially No. 3.

eschiss1

just heard the first serenade (maybe for the first time) over the radio on the net a few weeks ago, myself- good stuff. Of the chamber works I know I adore the string quartets (esp. nos. 1 and 4), the 6th violin sonata (but I don't yet know the others- I know there's a recording of nos.1&6 and a complete recording of the set) - the 3rd piano trio (op.115, with trio) (free recording on IMSLP) is quite good too; the cello sonatas used to be available in two good recordings - I had the one on Marco Polo - but neither is still available.  And 3 piano sonatas, of which I especially enjoy no.3 in D-flat (which occasionally really reminds me somehow - a little?... - of certain quiet, poetic moments in Schubert's middle-lateish piano sonatas - not the last three, but maybe the G major D.894) - played well also on Marco Polo (but I'm sure others could and might give them a try... I think the scores of many of these works are at IMSLP...)

JollyRoger

My favorite set of The Brahms Symphonies is by Swarowski! Fabulous renderings. I will need to look up the orchestra..

Alan Howe

The orchestra is the 'SĂĽddeutsche Philharmonie' - whoever they may be. Probably a known band given a fictitious title, or maybe a pick-up orchestra of some kind. Anyway, they don't exist as such.

Gauk

I have an old LP of Stokowski conducting the "London Stadium Orchestra" - good luck tracing the history of THAT band!

Aramiarz

Dear friend that wish to know more about Fuchs, in recordsinternational.com there are some cd's very interesting that show us, Fuchs talent for charming miniatures. Sommermarchen op 39 was one of his first works for Simrock where Brahms recomended him, this cycle is dedicated to Eduardo Hanslick, the famous critic! Friend of Brahms but don't of Bruckner.. :(>:(, Op 43 Herbsblatter, Impromptus op 11 & op 30, Phantasieskizzen op 49 (first book) And Neu Phantasiestuck op 89 (first book), preludes And fugues op 34 dedicated to great Alfred Grunfeld (If my memory don't fail me, the first pianist in recorded (around 1897). He was teacher of very importants composer as Sibelius, Mahler, Melartin, Wolf, Zemlinski, etc. Surely for interesting reasons they searched him. It's Sade that some much pianist don't turn to his legacy..

Aramiarz

For If anyone has interest

Virtual Fuchs, Vol. 4

ROBERT FUCHS (1847-1927): Herbstblätter, Op. 43 (Books 1 and 2), Neue improvisationen, Op. 30 (Book 1).

Catalogue Number: 09P075
Label: Engel Records
Reference: no catalogue number
Format: CD
Price: $10.98

Description: The latest volume in this series of computer-generated Romantic piano music.

Aramiarz

flyingdutchman

Has there been any word lately that new recordings will be made of his symphonies?

Aramiarz

Dear friend,
  I know only the Thorofon released of his three symphonies. I like very much the Fuch's music. NAXOS released recently the string Serenades. Do you know more about more symphonic releases?

flyingdutchman

Yes, I was able to find the Thorofon recordings.  Somewhat old, but finally waited around until I could get them cheaper than what many online sellers were selling them for.