Fritz Brandt (1880–1949)

Started by black, Thursday 27 October 2011, 17:26

Previous topic - Next topic

black

WDR3 will broadcast in a "Feiertagskonzert" on November 1st (10.00- 12.00) the string quartet no. 2  in G minor op. 15 by Fritz Brandt (1880–1949). Cobett only says the quartet met favorable opinions among the German critics. I can't find anything on Brandt on internet. But I have a recording of the quartet - presumably the same as the coming broadcast - and I think it's rather nice.

Alan Howe

Can you tell us more about the style and idiom of the piece, please?

eschiss1

tangentially, may have been a teacher of Alfano? will check that...

Simon

I've done some research on the man... There's a bio (in German) in the Rheinische Musiker http://books.google.ca/books?id=dFo9AQAAIAAJ&q=%22Brandt+stammte+aus%22&dq=%22Brandt+stammte+aus%22&hl=fr&ei=H8qpTtnjKMfm0QHO07ipDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-thumbnail&resnum=6&ved=0CEEQ6wEwBQ

He seems to have written some chamber music with oboe (which is essentially why I've been interested, though I haven't find anything about this music yet, or seen any scores). From what I've read, he was a lawyer in Düsseldorf. But be careful, there's also a few other Frtiz Brandt (one who worked with Wagner, another one born in 1902) in the musical domain!

Simon

eschiss1

one who's a son of Carl Brandt- which I think might be this one- one whose dates are 1902-81 - and one of an earlier generation who worked with Wagner as something other than a precocious infant (Brandt, I mean) of 3 years old :)... also something else that might be followed up on by someone who actually knows German (perhaps yourself - thanks :) ), will check back on that when I find it again...
Yes, I think the Musicsack and http://www.musik-druener.de/Neu/Kat-56%20TEIL%20%20II.htm this page- say something about Brandt being a jurist...
Thanks!
Ah, ok. No, not Alfano's teacher, but there are letters from Alfano to Brandt acc. to that page. Interesting, still... (the page is a list of autographs in a collection. One sometimes learns a bit of history from such...  and of course sometimes no, but I find them worth seeking out. I have this vague memory of running into Fritz Brandt, jurist-composer's, name, awhile back and thought I'd followed it up somehow at least to the extent of putting some of his works on the A-B "IMSLP wishlist" - his first two (A minor and G minor) quartets , say - (or maybe just the first, since I may not have heard of the 2nd until just now, whereas Worldcat mentions the first op14 and its publisher though not its date ) - but apparently I did not. I think me I shall... anyhow. Yes, I too would like to hear about the quartet :) )