Peter Mennin(1923-1983): a Great American Symphonist

Started by Dundonnell, Friday 28 October 2011, 02:40

Previous topic - Next topic

shamokin88

I'm away from home so cannot do anything right away but can offer - among other Mennins - a single movement of his symphony #2 and a white-hot reading of 6 with Mitropoulos, alas not in white-hot sound.

Dundonnell

Quote from: shamokin88 on Saturday 29 October 2011, 14:25
I'm away from home so cannot do anything right away but can offer - among other Mennins - a single movement of his symphony #2 and a white-hot reading of 6 with Mitropoulos, alas not in white-hot sound.

Look forward to that.......as well as the Giannini and the Badings ;D  (Please excuse my insatiable greed ;D ;D I do recall you saying that you were away for ten days :))

Oh...and the original version of what became Rosenberg's Symphony No.8....just in case it had slipped your mind ;D Sorry :)

alberto

The forum strikes again me (and reminds me how many records I have appreciated, with scant time for further listenings).
Time allowing I'll listen again Mennin's Symphonies 3, 5 and 7 and " Concertato".

Amphissa

Rainolf

Can someone here tell me theoretical facts about Mennin's music, how it "works"? His forms seem to me rather influenced by baroque ritornello than classical sonata form. He loves to build melodies along prygian or locrian models, doesn't he? And what does he in terms of harmony and modulation?

JimL

Alright, you've got me.  I'll download some of this stuff and get back to you.  ;)