Henry Hugh Pearson/Heirich Hugo Pierson

Started by Jimfin, Thursday 03 November 2011, 02:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimfin

I've been intrigued by Pearson since hearing the wonderful Hyperion 'Victorian Concert Ovetures', which included his 'Romeo and Juliet', two decades ago. At that time many of the composers represented on that disc were almost unheard elsewhere (Mackenzie, Macfarren, Corder and Pearson), but since then Macfarren and Mackenzie have seen some new recordings, but Pearson (and, for that matter Corder) has remained unheard, beyond a couple of songs. Does anyone know much more of this composer? It strikes me he was a radical at a time of conservatism (Macfarren, Loder), but has not quite been forgiven for going to Germany. Ripe for revival or best forgotten?

Mark Thomas

Pierson's robust Macbeth Overture is available on Lyrita SRCD 318, along with orchestral works by a gaggle of 20th century British composers.

Jimfin

albion

Quote from: Jimfin on Thursday 03 November 2011, 02:04he was a radical at a time of conservatism (Macfarren, Loder), but has not quite been forgiven for going to Germany. Ripe for revival or best forgotten?

Definitely ripe for revival - this thread might be of interest ...

http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,1642

Great to see another staunch advocate of British music - welcome!

;)

Jimfin

That's a really useful post, thanks a lot. I've traced the Lyrita Macbeth recording (coupled with, among other things, David Morgan, which surprised me a bit, bit like the Holbrooke/Bennett Dutton release). Looking forward to it.

Jimfin

Received the Lyrita disc and ready to listen, thank you. What an odd mix of composers, though! Pearson (spelt the German way), Morgan, Warlock and Arnold? Just needs a bit of Dunstable or Lloyd Webber to make it really unified!

albion

Quote from: Jimfin on Sunday 06 November 2011, 01:02Received the Lyrita disc and ready to listen, thank you. What an odd mix of composers, though! Pearson (spelt the German way), Morgan, Warlock and Arnold? Just needs a bit of Dunstable or Lloyd Webber to make it really unified!

I have no problem with seemingly-bizarre compilations (it must be a faulty gene) - it's a great way of finding out about things you never knew existed ...

;)

the unexpected Chagrin, Rawsthorne and Morgan pieces are all well worth getting to know.

:)

Jimfin

True: I've often discovered people that way. Often I buy a CD for something longed-for and then end up enjoying the companion piece more. That happened with the Coleridge-Taylor/Cowen coupling: I've always liked C-T, but the symphony didn't impress me that much, but I loved the Cowen. Looking forward to the Morgan too: I love his Violin Concerto. Does anyone know much about him? He was born in my native county of Hertfordshire, I think.

eschiss1

David Morgan 1933-88 or another? I don't but can try to find out this or that (but there seem to be some other composing David Morgans about, perhaps earlier and later- e.g. David Sydney Morgan 1932-alive as of 2006 - well, born in Ewell, Surrey, now Australian.)
Coleridge-Taylor's symphony was a rather early work I gather...

Jimfin

Yes, that David Morgan. I have recordings of his violin concerto and 'Contrasts', both of which I like a lot. Any information very gratefully received, thank you! Yes, the C-T was an early work. I'm not disparaging it, but it has not become a favourite of mine, unlike, say, Hurlstone's exactly contemporary Piano Concerto, which I love, or C-T's own Clarinet Sonata which I also love.