Radio archive search sites

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 06 November 2011, 15:55

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

This post may be redundant but I've mentioned these in scattered places and keep finding more of these... hope to find more still.
The best-known radio etc. archive recording search site is for British etc. recordings-
#CADENSA, the British Library Sound Archive Catalogue . Sometimes searching here requires considerable cleverness, e.g. putting the author's name in the title or the "any" line. Well, if that's how it has to be... use two title fields- fiddle about until you find what you're looking for...
#Svensk Mediedatabas - the Swedish Media Database - large resource covering many years of Swedish Radio and Television. Good idea to use a browser with translation features here (and use them carefully of course).
#Archivní a programové fondy (or, APF Czech Radio) - Czech Radio Archives- mostly a database of Czech Radio Archive tapes but like all three of these, I think, it's a database of music available to the radio stations and includes commercial recordings too- caveat.

As with any resource, spend some time learning how to use it if you end up using it at all :)
Hoping to find similar resources for German, Austrian, Belgian and French radio, for example... and others. (Yes, of course, Soviet/Russian radio... if they've digitized a catalog of their archives, which one doubts but is conceivable, then yes I very much want to peruse them... Russian State Library with its scans and interesting catalog even with its limited English section iirc is fascinating and says a lot about lesser-known things about ... tangent, but a seed of a potentially interesting thread for another time)