News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ernst Boehe

Started by Steve B, Friday 15 May 2009, 22:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve B

If you listen to one work by Walter Boehe, just listen to the last of his four linked(cyclically) symphonic poems, "From the Voyages of Odysseus": its the last one, "Odysseus's Return". Think I mentioned it on old forum(R.I.P.):
A beautiful radiant theme(used throughout the whole cycle), and a transformation of that theme into a the exciting return of the hero, which is full of sexual tension, as the music, a la "Tristan", raises in more and more voluptuous waves- of passion and joy. In fact the "Home coming" upbeat, surging theme is one of the most passionate I have heard; and lies somewhere bewteen Siegfried Wagner's surging themes of longing and his father's "Siegfried's Rhine Journey". The build up of tension, in infinitesmal leaps forward, is excruciating, but wonderful. The passion(sex!) is truly tantric. I am being lighthearted here but the music is truly moving, and melodically memorable; and i think its now about to fade into a sunset. Lovely. Try it(its on the SECOND cd of the Boehe orchestral works CPO stuff.); and you dont have to know the 3 previous symphonic poems; it stands well enough on its own!

Any other Boehe lovers?

Steve

Alan Howe

The composer's name is ERNST Boehe, as far as I can see. (I've duly altered the subject of this thread.)

And both cpo CDs are a lovely wallow - but I can't remember anything of the music after hearing it. Gorgeous, but unmemorable.

Crescendo

just discovered these 2 cpo discs and from my view i want to recommend this whole-heartedly for anyone who loves opulent late-romantic music. ok - as mentioned above, there may not be a lot of memorable melodies in here, but i think this is more about texture and emotion. utterly satisfying. it is definitely worth more attention and thus justifying the bumping of an aging thread that seemed to have ended a bit soon  :-)