News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Schmidt 4 dropped

Started by edurban, Saturday 05 November 2011, 01:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

The Mehta/VPO recording was one of my prize LP possessions - and it still sounds glorious in its CD incarnation. Nothing quite like the VPO in this music...
Terrible that the advertised performance got dropped.

eschiss1

I got the Mehta version - coupled with Schoenberg's first chamber symphony - during my college years - and ended up being hooked by both works (especially after having/choosing to write a paper on Schoenberg's later arrangement for full orchestra of the latter :) )

mbhaub

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 08 November 2011, 16:03
The Mehta/VPO recording was one of my prize LP possessions - and it still sounds glorious in its CD incarnation. Nothing quite like the VPO in this music...
Terrible that the advertised performance got dropped.

That Mehta recording, which is still the finest 4th out there, in its US LP incarnation had a photo of a Klimt painting, Death and Life. Not only did that LP hook me on Schmidt, but also into the wonderful world of Gustav Klimt. I don't know what the cover picture was in other countries, but not only is the Mehta the best recording, but that Klimt made the ideal cover. In the LP days, a cover picture could incite me to try something unknown. Sadly, in the CD era the effect is gone, and I also don't think cd producers are as creative as they used to be.