Apologies, not Romantic, but oddly..?

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 06 November 2011, 15:36

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Czech Radio has recordings of string quartets by Michael Berkeley (not BBC - in-house Radio Prague recordings) and also (more Romantic, in ethos(?) though not time period) a 1956 recording (so I think pre-Taneyev-Quartet complete cycle recording) of Myaskovsky's quartet no.6. (Yes, I know that recordings of Myaskovsky quartets on LP existed before the Taneyev cycle- e.g. recordings of quartets 5, 7 and 13 I think by different ensembles, 13 with Gliere's last quartet- but this is the first recording of his G-minor quartet 6 at least that I know of, though an in-house Czech radio recording by the Ondříčkova Quartet, also apparently for Radio (CSRo) Prague. Russian/Soviet Radio probably has earlier :) )
(Well, maybe not so oddly-though it connects to another, different issue, maybe, of self-image. As when I learned* that an American author (Poe, of course) was very popular in Europe in the 19th/early 20th century and was much more surprised than I ought to be- having just assumed, when I learned that, that influence was at the time always the other way.
Anyway! )
(Edit: actually, Czech radio has 5 recordings of Myaskovsky - or Nikolaj Jakovlevič Mjaskovskij - works - plus 2 "remasterings" in 2010 of older ones into newer sound ;) Four of them string quartet recordings by the quartet above, which recorded quartets 1, 3, 6 and 9. Wonder if Panton or Supraphon has any plans to release a 2-CD set- probably not commercially viable... )

*From a 1990s? edition of letters between Berg and Schoenberg in which the latter thanked Berg for a collection of Poe, I think. _Very_ interesting collection (of letters- not referring to the Poe) with a lot of editorial context- a very good read. Will add editor's name if I find it later- I don't own it but may recognize it if I see it in a library catalog.