News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

David Bedford 1937-2011

Started by vandermolen, Saturday 05 November 2011, 19:49

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Perhaps not 'unsung' but important to acknowledge his death I think. His Symphony No 1 has a wonderful last movement containing a very catchy tune, in its last movement a la Mike Oldfield (Bedford Orchestrated 'Tubular Bells'). If you hear nothing else listen to his very memorable Symphony No 1 on NMC. The choral 'Twelve Hours of Sunset' on the same CD is a beautifully atmospheric score - Ligeti with a warm heart.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/music-obituaries/8807037/David-Bedford.html

Dundonnell

I wrote this on another thread several weeks ago, Jeffrey ;D

"Mention of Liza Lehmann recalls the fact that she was the grandmother of the composer David Bedford who sadly died on 1st October. David was also the brother of the conductor Steuart Bedford.

There have been lengthy obituaries in the quality British newspapers but little comment online that I at least have seen. Bedford was an astonishing character.
I am not going to precis what is an admirably full and detailed Wikipedia article about the composer but simply to commend it to you. My own first encounter with him was his orchestrations of the famous Mike Oldfield albums of the early to mid 1970s, including "Tubular Bells".
Whatever one thought of his music there is no denying his sterling efforts to bring music to as wide a cross-section of the population as possible, and particularly the young for whom he composed an amazing quantity of music, often for the most extraordinary 'instruments'.
R.I.P."

semloh

Although I couldn't find it with the search facility, I'm sure I mentioned David Bedford's passing somewhere here, having long had his Stars End (1974) and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1975) on tape .... I think both off BBC Radio 3 back in the 70s.... and now safely digitized.

I'll certainly look out for his Symphony!  ;)

vandermolen

Many thanks Colin and Semloh and sorry that I missed earlier comments - pressure of work sadly means that I do not have as much time as I would like to access this fine forum. Colin, do you know Bedford's First Symphony? The last movement is very much in the spirit of the orchestral Tubular Bells (part of which reminds me of Martinu too).

Jeffrey

Delicious Manager

I am pleased to see this thread here. I was privileged to work with David Bedford on several occasions. In 2002 the orchestra I managed organised a '65th-birthday' concert for him which included his superb Recorder Concerto, written for the astounding recorder player Piers Adams (he of red Priest fame). The concerto uses all recorders between bass (where the concerto starts) and sopranino (where it ends), gradually using higher and higher types of recorder (two at once at one point!). The concert also included some arrangements David had done especially for the event (ironically, HIS birthday present from himself to the orchestra!). These arrangements were of songs by one of David's favourite composers - Brian Wilson - and we were treated to a suite of Beach Boys songs in exquisite transformations.

David was a modest and self-effacing man and a joy to know. The musical world will be the poorer without him.

semloh

Quote from: Delicious Manager on Monday 07 November 2011, 17:42
I am pleased to see this thread here. ........

David was a modest and self-effacing man and a joy to know. The musical world will be the poorer without him.

Sincere thanks for sharing that reminiscence. How heartwarming to hear of someone talented and famous who was, nonetheless, a genuinely nice person. I believe that it's a sign of both moral courage and strength of personality.

:) :)