Unsung Mass or Other Religious Works?

Started by monafam, Monday 21 September 2009, 19:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

The Schmidt is worth sitting through just for the stupendous ending - surely one of the most glorious in all music!

mbhaub

Quote from: Pengelli on Thursday 24 September 2009, 11:07
You like the Franz Schmidt? Phew! I must admit that one stays in the box. And I
say that as an admirer (of Schmidt!).

When I first acquired the work on with Mitropolous on LP many years ago, that's how I reacted, too. It just didn't click. The next version I got was the Orfeo cd and certain parts became very special -- but the whole thing eluded me. Then, on a trip to Germany I picked up a cd set from Amadeo. I was stuck in the hotel watching a terrific storm listening to Das Buch and all the sudden it made sense -- all of it. It just fell into place, and it's been a favorite of mine since then. But I can understand not liking it. I can't stand the Mozart Requiem, the Brahms German Requiem or the Beethoven Missa Solemnis. To each his own.

Gareth Vaughan

Pengelli

I'm going to have another go at the Schmidt as soon as I can find it! But it IS
rather grim! Brian's 'Gothic' seems like a light hearted romp in comparison.

Alan Howe

I'd like to echo Gareth's enthusiasm for Suter's Le Laudi - it is an absolutely glorious late-Romantic piece.

Pengelli

I think I'll go for the Benoit 'Hoogmis'. Flemish music is so underated & what I've
heard is so good.

Syrelius

I have just listened to Bomtempos Requiem on a Berlin Classics CD. There is perhaps a lack of drama, but nevertheless, there is a lot of beautiful music in it

monafam

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!  I've been able to get the Soderman one to this point (based on some credits I have) and really enjoyed it. 

Is the Schmidt one the piece he wrote in honor of the passing of his daughter?  I heard it's powerful and I'm wondering if I could take it (having kids myself).