Moszkowski Piano Concerto Op.3

Started by edurban, Saturday 12 November 2011, 02:55

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

It has been revealed by Ludmil Angelov in the last few hours that the premier will be at the National Philharmonic Hall in Warsaw on the 14th June 2014. The orchestra is the Rzeszow Philharmonic conducted by Maestro Vladimir Kiradjiev with the soloist being Ludmil Angelov himself.

A good reason to visit Poland in the winter.

Thal

eschiss1

Thought Poland was north of the Equator and that June 14 would therefore be late Spring, unless something happens.
Anyhow, great news.

Mark Thomas

Wouldn't it be good if it was recorded and broadcast by our good friends at Polish Radio Dwojka?

thalbergmad

oops, I meant January 14th.

Lucky I play Steibelt with greater accuracy.

Thal

JimL

We'll compromise: Juneuary!  Which means September???  ::)

eschiss1

Is Mr. Angelov preparing the edition? (One always presumes a work is not being performed from an autograph ms.- and probably not from a copyist's ms even, though those are a little cleaner and perhaps might be a little more performance-ready, though the performance indications are more 19th-century than 20th... (well, nth-century where n is the century the work was copied in, give or take. If it's a 16th-century work copied in the 17th-century, the above is not likely to be strictly number-for-number word-for-etc true. :D )

Gareth Vaughan

Oh, it's not at all unusual for works to be performed from copyist's manuscripts, Eric.  Lilian Elkington's wonderful tone poem "Out of the Mist" (recorded on Dutton and performed in 2010 in London by The orion Orchestra at a concert I organized) was actually performed from the autograph score, with copyist's parts. Likewise Walford Davies' "Phantasy - Big Ben Looks On", which the same orchestra played last year.

eschiss1

I know. Copyists' manuscripts were often made precisely in order to have parts ready for performance. My mind got sidetracked off the main point which started occurring to me- that - while while contemporary copyist manuscripts of a ca.1870 work might be acceptable in a pinch (and - hrm - yes, I do keep forgetting, Moszkowski is practically late-Romantic when it comes to this particular thing) -

backtracking several steps and abstracting several steps (to a very general case of what I thought I was talking about here*), I've several times wondered if there were a good, concentrated, comprehensive, in-one-place and one-book modern resource on the history and development of musical notation (1300-2013, say, or even 1300-1920).  I've mentioned before how that sort of thing can irritate or even stymie a would-be editor ... (moreso with earlier scores, though- e.g. the Hiller symphony I'm still working on editing, or especially earlier ones still.)

*since Moszkowski was born 1854 etc., it's not quite as relevant here, but not wholly a tangent... still, yes, I suppose I'll have to take this question elsewhere really... hrm.

Mark Thomas

Tra Nguyen recorded Raff's Fantaisie WoO.15A (on the first volume of her Grand Piano series) from a photocopy of the newly-discovered autograph score, complete with Liszt's performance markings. Mind you, Raff was an unusually precise and clean musical draughtsman.

thalbergmad

Thankfully, the original manuscript was in a very neat hand, but the "barrelling" on the photos that were taken i would have though would have made it impossible to play from.

No doubt a performance edition has been made as there were no parts.

Thal

Ludmil Angelov

Hi Thal,

To make more precise the news: the first performance of the piece will be on January 9th, 2014 at National Philharmonic Hall of Warsaw, with Rzeszow Philharmonic Orchestra and Vladimir Kiradjiev conducting (myself the soloist). Then the recording will be done in Gdansk, after a performance on June 21, 2014, with Baltic Philharmonic Orchestra. Now we schedule some other performances.

I have no idea about the source from which Hyperion obtained the fact the Concerto has been played with an orchestra by the composer. Assenov in his thesis doesn't mention anything about such performance - that was unknown to him, which he confirmed to myself when we talked. 

The edition is ready, published by Symétrie in Lyon, France and available for hire (full score and parts). I am still working on the 2 pianos reduction.

Ludmil

thalbergmad

Excellent news old chap.

Good luck.

Thal

eschiss1

Thanks! Excellent news!
Makes me hopeful that something might come of his ms. symphony, too- sometime. 

Mark Thomas

Could you give us a description of the piece, please?

Gareth Vaughan

Who is the recording company, please? And what other pieces are scheduled for the same disk, please?