Moszkowski Piano Concerto Op.3

Started by edurban, Saturday 12 November 2011, 02:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Ludmil Angelov

Responding to the posted questions: it is a large 4 movement work, influenced a lot by Schumann's style, but with typical virtuoso writing of Moszkowski as per his own later works; there is not yet a concrete label with which we have an agreement, only first contacts with some producers of different labels - I will inform about that when an agreement is reached.

Regards,
Ludmil

Mark Thomas

Gareth Vaughan

Yes. Thank you very much. Strongly suggest Hyperion be approached.

FBerwald

LateRomantic75

Any ideas on what would make a good coupling for the Moszkowski? I can't think of any offhand.

Ludmil Angelov

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Tuesday 24 December 2013, 16:35
Yes. Thank you very much. Strongly suggest Hyperion be approached.

I know they are aware of the project, but never said a word to myself about particular interest from their part ... Most probably they have a list of people with whom they work and I am not amongst those. Sorry if that disappoints you, but so far no news from them.

L.     

minacciosa

That has been my experience with Hyperion; they just aren't interested.

JimL

If Hyperion isn't interested, perhaps another label might be approached with the idea of coupling the two concertos.

Martin Eastick

Quote from: LateRomantic75 on Tuesday 24 December 2013, 19:56
Any ideas on what would make a good coupling for the Moszkowski? I can't think of any offhand.
Although the Op59 would be a logical coupling, I would hope that the Symphony or Joan of Arc Op19 would be among first considerations. Otherwise how about the Felix Borowski, which I know several of us have been enthusiastic about and would surely be relevant!

thalbergmad

Borowski would be a good coupling. Then we would have a post Schumann with a post Brahms.

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

Since we have at least 4 recordings of the Op. 59, I feel another would be a little otiose and would prefer to see any of the couplings suggested by Martin.

Gounod21

This would be so exciting if the early Moszkowski Piano Concerto were recorded!

Alan Howe

thalbergmad

I understand from Ludmil that it is going to be broadcast on Polish Radio 2, but I have not got the date yet.

If I had listened to both works without knowing anything about them, I would have sworn that the Op.6 was the latter work instead of the earlier. It is a long work at over 50 minutes with a clear Mendelssohn/Liszt influence. More melancholic in the earlier stages, but Moszkowski cannot resist a bit of fun which is clearly displayed in the finale. Overall, not a million miles from Melcer 1.

Stunning work and a stunning performance given Ludmil learned it in a month.

Thal

Alan Howe

Do keep us informed. And thanks for that additional info.