Chester Music Society Choir
Hulme Singers

Organist: David Houlder
Conductor: John Bethell

Recorded at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral
25 November 2000

NFMS WRW202-2.
The Light of the World, by Holman Hunt

Oh, thank you, that is amazing news: I love Sullivan's choral works (apart from the 1886 Ode, which I find tedious) and have been wanting to fill the gaps for years. Hyperion doing 'On Shore and Sea' sounds wonderful too: I'd been wondering if they'd been forgetting their British side lately.

mikehopf

I've got a decent recording of Parry's Pied Piper of Hamelin if anyone wants an upload.

albion

Quote from: mikehopf on Wednesday 16 November 2011, 21:42
I've got a decent recording of Parry's Pied Piper of Hamelin if anyone wants an upload.

Yes, please.

;D

mikehopf

jerfilm, I can let you have Paine's Hymn of the West if you it.

mikehopf

Albion, my dog-earred catalogue reveals a Cantata : The Shepherd's Vision Op.63 by Parker.

Also, an overture: "Count Robert of Paris".

Is this the same Horatio Parker.

I've got opera highlights from "Mona"... this is definitely by Horatio.

PS Re: Parry... any interest in Eton Ode for Chorus & Orchestra ( 1891).?

mikehopf

Albion, re: On Shore & Sea. I was present at that performance of this attractive work. They borrowed a "Jingling Johnny" from the V & A Museum which they used to great effect. I also have the cassette that was issued at the time.

A member of one of our local G & S Societies recently completed his doctorate with a thesis on "On Shore & Sea " . I believe it was he who told me about the Hyperion recording but I vaguely remember hearing it from another source too. Maybe from Alan or Mark?

jerfilm

Yes Mike, would love to have The Hymn of the West.

Thanks, too, Coleridge-Taylor and Somervell cantatas. 

Jerry

albion

Quote from: mikehopf on Wednesday 16 November 2011, 22:15
jerfilm, I can let you have Paine's Hymn of the West if you it.
Quote from: mikehopf on Wednesday 16 November 2011, 22:24
Albion, my dog-earred catalogue reveals a Cantata : The Shepherd's Vision Op.63 by Parker.

Also, an overture: "Count Robert of Paris".

Is this the same Horatio Parker.

I've got opera highlights from "Mona"... this is definitely by Horatio.

PS Re: Parry... any interest in Eton Ode for Chorus & Orchestra ( 1891).?

Mike, it would be great if you could upload anything by Horatio Parker - and yes, Count Robert of Paris is Op. 24b (1890).

Quote from: mikehopf on Wednesday 16 November 2011, 22:07I seem to have a whole lot of Parry vocal and choral works listed in my excuse for a catalogue. Any particular requests?

Re. Parry, please could you upload the Eton Ode, The Pied Piper and anything else that isn't commercially available?

Many thanks.

:)

PS. Have you got the Amber Ring full score of On Shore and Sea - it's a wonderful achievement.

Amphissa

If cantatas are also included in this discussion thread, there is a good recording of Taneyev's "John of Damascus" in the Russian music downloads folder, and I have just added two fine cantatas by Myaskovsky to the folder.

mikehopf

John ( Albion), you may be right about the Liverpool recording of Light of the World, but compared to the only other recording available at the time on Michael Thomas' now defunct RRE label, this was pure nectar!

eschiss1

Amphissa- ooh. I have one of Myaskovsky's big unrecorded choral works, but I was going to ask if anyone had the other (I assume you mean Kreml Nochiu and Kirov is With Us...) , and here already...

albion

Quote from: mikehopf on Thursday 17 November 2011, 03:22
John ( Albion), you may be right about the Liverpool recording of Light of the World, but compared to the only other recording available at the time on Michael Thomas' now defunct RRE label, this was pure nectar!

Yes, I suppose that's a fair point! I collected several Rare Recorded Edition LPs (including The Rose of Persia, The Light of the World and Ivanhoe) and never ceased to marvel at the talent on display.

;)

I heard Oldham Choral Society perform the entire oratorio (and I do mean entire, with every last scrap of Lazarus) with organ accompaniment in 1988, also conducted by John Bethell: the organist and soloists were excellent, but the choir resolutely sang about a quarter-tone flat throughout. Nevertheless, at least they were unanimous in this resolve and this was still by far the best performance I've ever heard, and in a decent church acoustic - it really should have been recorded at least privately...

Amphissa

Eric, yes, "Kremlin at Night" and "Kirov Is With Us" are the two I've added. Not yet approved by a moderator, though. I suppose they sleep at night over there in England.

eschiss1

Ah, thanks. I have a Rozhdestvensky-conducted recording of opus 61, apparently... (and I recall skimming the vocal score of the other, part of his collected-not-complete works published in the later 1950s iirc. Need to listen to it again and looking forward to hearing the other, so thanks.)

Mark Thomas

QuoteI suppose they sleep at night over there in England.
:) They're both now approved.