News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung Choral Music

Started by albion, Monday 14 November 2011, 08:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Latvian

QuoteI've got opera highlights from "Mona"... this is definitely by Horatio.

Please! And any other Parker rarities you may have!

Gareth Vaughan

Maurice Jacobson: The Hound of Heaven (a really superb piece)
Joseph Holbrooke: Choral Symphony "Hommage to E.A. Poe"
John Foulds: A Vision of Dante
Granville Bantock: Christ in the Wilderness; Gethsemane; King Solomon - but ESPECIALLY The Song of Songs
Peter Racine Fricker: The Vision of Judgement
Cyril Scott:  Hymn of Unity

Dundonnell

You are aware, I hope, that both the Jacobson and the Fricker were recently added from my own collection to the British Music section on here?

(Apologies, if you already knew this :)))

Gareth Vaughan

Dundonnell

Albion very kindly produced a list of major British choral works which have not received the attention they deserve. He restricted himself however to what he deemed the golden age of British Choral Music, roughly 1850-1914.

Other members have added to that list, including Gareth, who listed Maurice Jacobson's "The Hound of Heaven" and Peter Racine Fricker's "The Vision of Judgment"-both of which are now available to download from this site.

There are, of course, a substantial number of distinguished large-scale British Cantatas/Oratorios written since 1914 which equally merit recording.

These would certainly include-

William Alwyn's Oratorio "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"(1936)
Sir Lennox Berkeley's Oratorio "Jonah"(1935)
Arnold Cooke's Cantata "Holderneth"(1933-34)
Iain Hamilton's Cantata "The Bermudas"(1957)
Daniel Jones's Oratorio "St. Peter"(1962)....a truncated version is available for download from this site.
William Mathias's Cantata "World's Fire"(1989).....which Holger recently made available on this site
Anthony Milner's Oratorio "The Water and the Fire"(1961)....available for download from this site
Alan Rawsthorne's Cantata "Carmen Vitale"(1963).....available for download from this site

There are also a number of choral works of substance by Sir Arthur Bliss but I shall write about them very shortly in a separate thread ;D

albion

Recent additions to the BMB archive have prompted me to purchase second-hand vocal scores of four large-scale twentieth-century choral pieces: reading through whilst listening, these have impressed me tremendously -

Julius Harrison (1885-1963) - Mass in C (1936-47)
Maurice Jacobson (1896-1976) - The Hound of Heaven (1953)
Franz Reizenstein (1911-1968) - Voices of Night, Op.27 (1951)
Peter Racine Fricker (1920-1990) - The Vision of Judgement, Op.29 (1957-58)

Although I generally prefer not to use the term 'masterpiece', which seems to me a fallible and inherently subjective assessment, I would urge members to hear these works.

:)

mikehopf

Jerfilm, apologies for the delay in sending Paine Hymn of the West.

I definitely have it on cassette or tape.. it's just a question of finding it.