Louis Gruenberg (1884-1964)

Started by adriano, Friday 11 November 2011, 08:18

Previous topic - Next topic

adriano

I adore the music of this compser and am still trying to find an adventurous record producer and some sponsors to conduct/record his complete Symphonies. There is a wonderful CD on the Fleisher Collection label conducted by Paul Freeman with Gruenberg's Second Symphony and his splendid tone poem "The Enchanted Isle", a recording of 2001 which may have been become difficult to find, but it is higly recommendable.
I have just finished to arrange Gruenberg's miniature song cycle "Animals and Insects" (originally for baritone and piano) for a wind ensemble including
Baritone (of course)
2 Flutes (1st with Piccolo)
Clarinet (with Bass Clarinet) in Bb
Horn in F
Bassoon
Trumpet in C
Trombone
Double-Bass Tuba
(Total duration: ca. 7:30 minutes)
and am, of cours looking now for an American or European wind group which may be interested to give a world premiere performance :-)
Regards from Switzerland
Adriano (conductor)

M. Henriksen

Thank you for directing my attention to Gruenberg. The excerpts from the recording sounds very interesting, I've earmarked some money for that one!

Morten

Dundonnell

Gruenberg's Symphony No.2 and Symphonic Poem "The Enchanted Isle" are on an Albany cd-Czech National Symphony Orchestra/Paul Freeman.

TROY 467.

( I honestly can't remember what they sound like and will have to re-listen ;D)

eschiss1

fortunately I think the scores of several of them are at New York Public Library if someone -does- undertake the project- I recall skimming one of them during what were occasional (more frequent) visits by me to the research division of Lincoln Center Library in the past...

mikehopf

I don't know if this is or was generally available, but I have Gruenberg Violin Concerto Op.47 ( 1944) played by Heifetz & Monteux

violinconcerto

Quote from: mikehopf on Thursday 17 November 2011, 03:17
I don't know if this is or was generally available, but I have Gruenberg Violin Concerto Op.47 ( 1944) played by Heifetz & Monteux

I hope my site answers the question:

http://www.violinconcerto.de/database.html?sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=935&sobi2Id=12144

Best,
Tobias

alberto

The only work by Gruenberg I know (besides the VC by Heifetz and Monteux-RCA coupled with Walton; now reisseud by Naxos with Prokofiev 2) is the funny "The Daniel Jazz" for voice and eight instruments (esoteric Italian label ASdisc; I gather exists another recording, Albany).
I would like to hear something more from this composer.

eschiss1

there's been a few CDs of his music by the way - his 2nd symphony on Albany Records (2001), The Music of Louis Gruenberg on GM Recordings (GM2015, 1986, with various works- The Creation, White Lilacs, Four Diversions, Six Jazz Epigrams, and Rhapsody,  conducted by Gunther Schuller)...