News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Will it ever change?

Started by ignaceii, Wednesday 30 April 2014, 21:45

Previous topic - Next topic

mbhaub

I think I may have scored one for the unknowns: a local group I play with (and it's fairly decent) has given the green light to program Gottschalk's Symphony no. 1 (Night in the Tropics) next season. Yippee! All it took was directing the manager, conductor, and board president to YouTube to hear it and then a plea for something from the Americas that we ignore too much. Now there's the matter of which edition to use... but what a nice change it will be from the regular grind of Beethoven, Rossini, Mendelssohn, Tchaikovsky and company we've been doing. Have to keep my hopes up that they will do it and it doesn't get shoved aside for something else.

minacciosa

Fine work on your part! That's how a difference is made. I do the same thing whenever and wherever possible.  A year or so ago I suggested Henry Hadley's music to a local community orchestra's conductor. I provided him with samples and resources; he loved it and decided to perform the 4th Symphony "North, East, South and West", which they did. Even small victories like that make a difference, so keep up the good work!

chill319

Bravo, mbhaub, Who knows where the ripples will end up?