Theodore Kirchner/Carl Reinecke

Started by Lionel Harrsion, Monday 21 November 2011, 13:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionel Harrsion

I just noticed this violin and piano recital due for release on 12 December from Capriccio, ostensibly Robert Schumann but with some interesting 'extras', all first recordings, allegedly - Kirtchner's 'Romance und Schlummerlied' and the twelve 'Fantasy Pieces'; and Reinecke's E minor sonata op 116: http://www.capriccio.at/the-circle-of-robert-schumann-vol2

Alan Howe

Thanks for this, Lionel. I am extremely grateful to you for spotting it. The E minor Violin Sonata of 1872 by Reinecke is of particular interest as it has never been recorded before.

eschiss1

have also been hoping to hear that one.

john_boyer

Be warned!  Don't expect much.  I have volume 1, which includes the three Schumann sonatas and the sonata of Bargiel.  The performers adopt a strict early music approach.  No vibrato on the violin, and the piano, though from 1836,  a twangy thing sounding more like something from 1786. 

It's Schumann as Mozart would have heard it.

I've been waiting for years to hear the Reinecke, but what a pity it will be through 18th century ears.

Alan Howe

Having now received my copy of this double-CD set which includes the as-yet unrecorded Reinecke Violin Sonata, I was fearing the worst - and it is true that these are HIP performances. However, although we have a rather plummy-sounding fortepiano recorded in a swimmy acoustic, the violinist does not entirely eschew vibrato and her intonation is pretty good as far as I can judge. So the performance gives us a very fair idea of this substantial, lyrical work in the conservative tradition and in fact there is some lovely playing in the course of its 28 minutes. Being something of a fan of Reinecke, I would say that this is yet another major find well worthy of disinterment. 

john_boyer

Glad you liked it, Alan.  My recording of volume 1 (Schumann 1, 2, & 3; Bargiel, others) is up for grabs. 

eschiss1

At least with the Schumann/Bargiel there are alternatives (... I think, yes? MDG for the Bargiel sonata, many for Schumann 1 and 2, a few rather diverse recordings of the posthumously-published sonata 3. For-what-little-it-is-tangentially-worth Schumann sonata 1 may well be my favorite violin sonata. Anyways...)

Alan Howe

Eric makes the important point here, i.e. that there's no other way of hearing the Reinecke. Which is why, until a better recording comes along, this set is a keeper...

eschiss1

I'm not sure I agree on that last point (not just being contrarian- a bad or to be more subjective but importantly so  (strongly) not-enjoyed recording can perhaps not quite ruin a piece for you... or perhaps it can... given that there is only so much time to explore and it can dissuade you from listening to the better recording when it does come 'round.  John Wiser made this point or something like it a time or two in Fanfare magazine reviews I think, and I incline to agree.)

Alan Howe

It's not a bad recording, though - so, until a better one comes along (which is improbable, after all), I shall happily play and replay this one...