The best symphonies of the past 50 years?

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 25 November 2011, 17:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 02 December 2011, 20:03
Personally, I'll have both Simpson and Tippett....

:) :) :)

...and I am so glad that both composers give you pleasure, Alan :)

Tippett  I can take up to but not including, the Concerto for Orchestra. After around 1962 his music is way over my head :(

Alan Howe

Re. Tippett: in general I agree. But I can take the symphonies: No.4 in particular made an impression on me from the moment I heard Solti conduct it. I'm not saying it's my favourite music, but I can certainly appreciate it. Which is more than I can say for Elliott Carter.

I'm in the middle of trying to come to grips with Maxwell Davies' 3rd. My goodness, that's a big beast. I'll let you know when I've come out the other side...

Dundonnell

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 02 December 2011, 22:50
Re. Tippett: in general I agree. But I can take the symphonies: No.4 in particular made an impression on me from the moment I heard Solti conduct it. I'm not saying it's my favourite music, but I can certainly appreciate it. Which is more than I can say for Elliott Carter.

I'm in the middle of trying to come to grips with Maxwell Davies' 3rd. My goodness, that's a big beast. I'll let you know when I've come out the other side...

Oh, the Maxwell Davies symphonies are pretty taxing too ;D I can just about get a handle on them but it is hard work sometimes :)

Tippett No.4.....almost ;D  Tippett No.3......never ;D :(

erato

At least this thread has made me dig up my Simpson 9 for a relisten, but it will have to wait in the que. Currently making a stab at the complete Rheinberger piano music on Carus.

vandermolen

Quote from: theqbar on Thursday 01 December 2011, 11:54
What about Ivanovs' last symphonies? I would vote for n.20. I also think that nobody has mentioned so far Boris Tischenko. I find really interesting his 5 Dante Symphonies. (which have been composed from 1997 to 2005).
  I also would like to thank so much all the members of the forum who voted for Simpson's 9th symphony because they made me discover a magnificent work that was unknown to me.

I've always liked Ivanovs. There is a good Naxos CD Symphony with symphonies 8 and 20 on - both excellent. No 11 is one of the best, but sadly never released on CD. There are some fime Marco Polo and Campion issues too.