Contemporary (i.e. still living) Composers...

Started by monafam, Thursday 08 October 2009, 13:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Amphissa

I have just received a CD containing Syphonies 2 and 3 by Australian composer Philip Bracanin. So far, I have only given it one cursory listen, but I find the music quite solidly Romantic. I was especially impressed with the final movement of his 2nd "Choral" symphony.

If Marcus is still around, maybe he can tell us a bit about this composer. I'm certainly going to have to give this CD another, closer listen (and read the booklet).

eschiss1

giles.enders

I believe Alexander Prior is a composer to watch.  He is still under 20.  His Velesslavitsa for piano, two violins, cello and orchestra is exelent and the orchestration which I assume he did himself is extremely well crafted.  His sound is not particularly individual but the more I listen to this work the more I see in it.

giwro

Just received a CD of Yves Castagnet's Messe "Salve Regina", which I was moved to purchase after hearing this movement on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZABdMkZRzM

This young composer (choir organist @ Notre-Dame de Paris) has written a stunning work here - some mild dissonances but in all a very powerful and romantic work.  Keep an eye on this young fellow - I hope to hear more from him!

jecurb

I regret to inform you that my father, Robert Bruce, who wrote Symphony in B Flat,  passed away yesterday 13/08/2012 at 1545.  He just missed his 97th birthday (born 17/08/2012).

I am an infrequent visitor to this site but can be contacted on   ajlbruce@gmail.com.   I still have copies of his symphony.

Mark Thomas

Our most sincere commiserations to you on the loss of your father. A grand old man indeed.

Alan Howe

MikeW

While I don't necessarily go for everything the following living composers do (either because they veer out of my interest zone, or have simply churned out something uninspired), I am at least faithful enough to review whatever new releases they conjure. None of them write consistently in a recognisably romantic style (quite obviously in some cases):

Mikis Theodorakis (1925)
Erik Lotichius (1929)
Philip Glass (1937)
Ross Edwards (1942)
Wim Mertens (1953)

There's also a bunch of young Icelandic composers like Johann Johannsson, Ólafur Arnalds and Daníel Bjarnason who work accessibly in both traditional forms/instruments and in contemporary electronic music. I can direct interested parties to useful examples via pvt message.

Amongst composers better known for film work, arranging or other musical genres:
Claus Ogerman (1930)
Richard Rodney Bennett (1936)
Abel Korzeniowski (1972)
Michel Legrand (1932)
Eleni Karaindrou (1939) (principally for films of Theo Angelopoulos, on ECM)
Philippe Rombi (1968)
Alberto Iglesias (principally for films of Almodovar)
Richard Einhorn (1952)

Latvian

QuoteI regret to inform you that my father, Robert Bruce, who wrote Symphony in B Flat,  passed away yesterday 13/08/2012 at 1545.  He just missed his 97th birthday (born 17/08/2012).

My condolences as well. The Symphony is a fine work.

Mark Thomas

QuoteNone of them write consistently in a recognisably romantic style
Then I doubt whether they belong here I'm afraid, Mike, any more than do composers of electronic music.

MikeW

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Tuesday 14 August 2012, 17:37
QuoteNone of them write consistently in a recognisably romantic style
Then I doubt whether they belong here I'm afraid, Mike, any more than do composers of electronic music.

So a composer must ALWAYS write in a romantic style to be mentioned here? I know the focus of the group has narrowed, but this is perhaps OTT.

Alan Howe

That is now the focus of the site, yes. OTT? Nope! We take in everything from early Beethoven to Korngold - that's a pretty generous time-frame.

MikeW

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 14 August 2012, 20:14
That is now the focus of the site, yes. OTT? Nope! We take in everything from early Beethoven to Korngold - that's a pretty generous time-frame.

So this entire thread is off topic? The definition of romantic posted says " Some composers did not actively compose until well after the traditional period and yet wrote, and still write, in a recognisably romantic idiom: examples being Marx, Korngold, Atterberg, Furtwängler, many composers of film music and today's Schmidt-Kowski. "

Alan Howe

The topic was brought back into use in order to report the sad death of composer Robert Bruce this morning. It was your good self, Mike, who continued to post on this thread - which survives from before the revised focus of UC. Let's leave things there.