Borgstrøm Violin Concerto

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 13 April 2010, 19:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Oh dear! Another must-buy has been issued for collectors of gorgeous late-Romantic VCs: in this case it's the 34-minute VC in G major by Hjalmar Borgstrøm (1864-1925), written in 1914. A predominantly leisurely work, it has some passages of extraordinary beauty: try the start of the slow movement for size! The label is Simax; also on the CD are a couple of earlier orchestral pieces by Borgstrøm.

Gareth Vaughan

Oh bother! Just as my finances were getting straight.

petershott@btinternet.com

One consequence of logging into this site each day is that one's finances never get straight!

I very much enjoyed the Borgstrom opera 'Thora paa Rimol' when a recording (again on Simax) became available a number of years ago. He wrote it (I believe) in 1894, although it had to wait until 2002 for a professional performance (on which the recording was based). Wagner was one of his heroes, and the music betrays this.

There is also a Piano Concerto....and I wonder what that is like? And five symphonic poems, one of which is Hamlet, scored for piano and orchestra. Yet more investigations and assaults on the bank balance! (But wouldn't life be dull if the bank balance never diminished!)

Peter

DennisS

I received my copy of Borgstrom's VC last week and have listened to it a couple of times. I fully endorse Alan's opinion of the work, when he says there are passages of extraordinary beauty in the concerto. I will be returning to this cd quite often!
Cheers
Dennis

JimL

Any information on the label?  Is this is part of the Dacapo series?

Alan Howe