More unsung piano concertos?

Started by Syrelius, Wednesday 21 October 2009, 06:52

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

Quote from: Ilja on Monday 25 January 2010, 13:54
The only thing that had me puzzled was the exclusion of the Taneyev-completed movements of the Third Concerto, and the inclusion of the execrable Siloti adaptation of the Second's middle movement...

Huh, that's weird. Ah well, I wasn't planning on buying it anyway....

thalbergmad

For those interested in playing a bit of Widor, the 1st concerto Op.39 has recently been digitalised by the BSB and can be downloaded on the following link.

http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/0004/bsb00045511/images/index.html?id=00045511&fip=77.23.214.178&no=5&seite=7

Concertingly

Thal

eschiss1

Glad to see the Widor and Rosenhain concertos included, among other works.  (BSB has a score of Rosenhain's piano sonata in f, and IMSLP has a few other works uploaded, but Worldcat lists only one recording, of Katsaris playing a solo piano work called Morceau de concert sur un thème de La reine de Chypre. I don't think I've seen or heard the concerto yet, at that.)
Eric

thalbergmad

I think anyone who likes Moscheles, Kalkbrenner & Mendelssohn Concerti will like the Rosenhain.

There are some nice lyrical moments, more agitated sections, crashing chords and two pages of split octaves just in the first movement.

Should be a good one.

Thal