News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Havergal Confessional

Started by semloh, Monday 09 January 2012, 07:51

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

and to complicate matters (a little; this isn't so rare...) it's his first completely surviving symphony (... if that; the full manuscript score doesn't. But moreso than the Fantastic Symphony that he once called his first symphony.)

Dundonnell

"It does seem that the Gothic is the one that moves people and represents the pinnacle of HB's symphonic achievements, it dominates evrything I read about HB and his music, and yet it is Symphony No.1 ..... so, was it a case of an initial massive outpouring of genius (as some view it) and then (some might say) a half-century of less inspired symphonies? I can't really get a grasp of his musical development - it seems to all be in reverse!  ???

Perhaps, the Brianites can put me straight on this..... ;D"

Oh dear ::)

It is far too late at night and there are others who can be more than relied on to reply at length and in depth ;D ;D ;D

kolaboy

For me, the Brian Symphonies (I'm speaking primarily of the symphonies after the 5th) are the equivalent of flying over a dramatically undulating landscape; once you've flown over you can recall that it was "dramatic" & "undulating,"  but none of the individual high points really stand out as memorable peaks...
Perhaps this was his intent - cryptic fellow that he was.

I do have a great affection for the first five, however :)

vandermolen

I loved hearing The Gothic Live (for the second time) and think that it is a great work.  Even so the choral sections do take some perseverance IMHO, although I appreciate them much more now. I agree with Colin's selection of favourites No 6-10 but also have come to appreciate No. 2,3,16 and 22.  Some of the others are indeed difficult to get hold of and I hardly ever play them (No. 11 is an exception).