News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Women unsungs

Started by Lew, Wednesday 28 October 2009, 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

masterclassicalmusic

i think Princess wilhelmine of Prussia (later Margravine of Bayreuth) is good too. her opera Argenore now is quite famous :D

Act 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?y54azkwr3c5mnap
Act 2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7UP32BKR

overture and aria:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS4X-F5Rgj4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj-aUYnTthY

this is live recording, you also can find some her opera arias and harpsichord concerto in higher quality here:

i want it but i can't :((

nigelkeay

A French group, Quatuor des Iles, has been performing recently the work of Rita La Villette (1865-1941) aka Rita Strohl, composer of two symphonies, opera, chamber music... There's a short documentary here in Breton with option of French sub-titles that contains an extract of a Quartet for flute, violin, viola and cello.

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

I've seen most of the ones I can think of mentioned throughout this thread - Elinor Remick Warren (I own a very fine recording of The Legend of King Arthur), Amy Beach (lovely chamber music), Rosalind Ellicott (<3<3<3)...

What about Margaret Rutheven Lang?  Benjamin Joseph Lang's daughter - she was quite the talent, if the one song on YouTube I've been able to find is any indication.  (Another CD for my ever-expanding want list, alas.)

I'm also rather fond of what I know of Mary Carr Moore's music, including the piano concerto I discovered on these shores.  One day I would love to exhume her opera Narcissa.

Also from these pages - Ina Boyle and Susan Spain-Dunk.  And Elizabeth Maconchy.  Fine composers all, based on what I know of their work (the Boyle Violin Concerto was one of my discoveries of the year last year.)

One more...Guirne Creith, if we are to commend Dutton for their exhumations.  Quite a fine Violin Concerto.

Jonathan

Oddly enough, we are listening to a CPO recording of Fanny Mendelssohn's string quartet, coupled with works by Emilie Mayer and M.Laura Lombardini Sirmen.  Lovely stuff and well worth seeking out. 

I've looked up Emilie Mayer on Wikipaedia, she was very prolific, I'll have to investigate her music further...
As for M.Laura Lombardini Sirmen, she appears to have had an interesting life and studied with Tartini - there is less information about her on the net than on E.Mayer though.

eschiss1

Ruthven Lang- besides Wikipedia there is also a family webpage providing some background information though not music (and IMSLP has a US-only-for-now - she died in 1972, so copyright precludes - pair of songs.)

One of Emilie Mayer's 6 symphonies has been recorded (of her orchestral works I think only one of her symphonies, and her Faust overture were published in the 19th century and then only in duet reduction, as I recall) and a musicologist who's posted here has been typesetting the lot (and other works of hers and other people) for performance and publication, it seems.

jerfilm

The Pejacavic Violin Sonatas recently being discussed (out of context, thanks to me.....) on another thread, have just recently been uploaded to YouTube.......

jerry

Gauk

No mention of Augusta Holmes in this thread?

Ilja

I just discovered Lucija Garuta's piano concerto in F sharp minor from 1952. A wonderfully anachronistic, lush specimen of the genre that I thoroughly recommend to anyone here.

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Quote from: jerfilm on Tuesday 12 March 2013, 18:43
The Pejacavic Violin Sonatas recently being discussed (out of context, thanks to me.....) on another thread, have just recently been uploaded to YouTube.......

jerry

I have one of them on a Croatian disc (purchased in Zagreb, as I recall) of Croatian violin sonatas.  I believe it was the First; it's coupled with a sonata by Boris Papandopulo and a couple of other works.  I don't even remember the rest of it, except that I didn't care much for the other three.  But the Pejacevic was a revelation.  I have a piano cycle of hers as well, which I'm not so wild about, and the wonderful CPO symphony release, which I found secondhand and which is a treasure beyond measure.

I didn't see Mabel Wheeler Daniels mentioned, though I may have glossed her - any familiarity?

eschiss1

No, the sonata on the 2001 CD is Pejacevic's opus 43 (Slavonic sonata), and she wrote an earlier(-published?) one (opus 26 in D) (if not others) as well as some miniatures for violin and piano.

semloh

Quote from: Gauk on Wednesday 13 March 2013, 08:38
No mention of Augusta Holmes in this thread?

Hmmm... she has only been mentioned a couple of times on UC, and the comments have been mixed. The Marco Polo disc received good reviews when it was issued but, although quite engaging, I think the music lacks originality and unless I am careful I end up playing 'spot the composer'.  :)

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 13 March 2013, 16:08
No, the sonata on the 2001 CD is Pejacevic's opus 43 (Slavonic sonata), and she wrote an earlier(-published?) one (opus 26 in D) (if not others) as well as some miniatures for violin and piano.

Ah - thanks.  I'm going entirely off of memory here, not currently having any access to the disc in question (it being at home and me being a lazy sod who refuses to look for stuff in his collection when he gets there.  :) )

What about Margaret Bonds?  I've always been curious about her; apparently nothing's been recorded (at least on CD) apart from a couple of songs and small pieces.  I know she wrote some larger-scale pieces, but the only thing I'm aware of that's been done recently is her setting of Ballad of the Brown King, with piano instead of orchestral accompaniment

eschiss1

Has (Hildegard) Quiel (1888-1971) been mentioned yet? Haven't seen/heard her music, but a violin sonata of hers was published in 1921...

Balapoel

Various uploaders at Youtube have almost all of Pejacevic's substantial chamber music. The quality of her work spurred me to purchase all of her CDs I could get a hold of:

cello Sonata in e, op 35
piano quartet in d, op 25
piano quintet in b, op 40
piano trio no. 2 in C, op 29
String quartet in C, op58
Violin Sonata No. 1 in D, op 26
Violin Sonata No. 2 in bb, op 43

I haven't seen a recording of piano trio No. 1 in D, Op. 15, and the rest are smaller salon pieces... (except possibly the impromptu for piano quartet, op 9b)

eschiss1

Enjoy; I've only heard one of those works so far and seen another. (B-flat minor-are-you... oh. Mic.hr has sound samples of the openings of the three movements of the cpo recording of Op.43, and that's B-flat minor (I don't have perfect pitch, but I compared it to Brahms op.76 pieces in B minor and B-flat major on IMSLP just to be sure ;^)  Sorry. Rare enough key, that...

The trio op.15 was recorded back in 2001. See this disc.