News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Women unsungs

Started by Lew, Wednesday 28 October 2009, 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

That would be B-flat Major in English, Peter.  B Major is H-Dur in German.

FBerwald

I once heard a waltz by a female composer on the radio. The announcer called her the "Female Strauss"....Think her (first)? name was Joseffine (???????)...... I cant recollect her full name!!!  :-[  Any idea who it was?

thalbergmad

The only Josephine I know is Josephine van Brussel, but we are talking Herzian type Variations here and not Strauss.

Thal

eschiss1

Quote from: Peter1953 on Monday 28 June 2010, 06:54
I've just listened to a radio broadcast of the 2nd movement of Piano Quartet no. 1 in B Major op. 69, by the French Mélanie Bonis (1858-1937). Never heard anything of her before, but I must say that I'm impressed. See http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Melanie-Bonis-Klavierquartette-Nr-1-2/hnum/9124613
She has written a lot of music, but only very little is available on CD. I wonder how her orchestral output sounds...

Several works of hers have reached IMSLP - not this one, but the near-contemporary cello sonata in F major op.67 (http://imslp.org/wiki/Cello_Sonata,_Op.67_(Bonis,_Mel)) for example.
Eric

Gareth Vaughan

Here is the URL for the site run by one of her descendants. There are certainly some orchestral works extant, although she does not list them - but indicates she can be contacted about other compositions.
http://www.mel-bonis.com/

eschiss1

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 28 June 2010, 14:55
Here is the URL for the site run by one of her descendants. There are certainly some orchestral works extant, although she does not list them - but indicates she can be contacted about other compositions.
http://www.mel-bonis.com/

Not sure what you mean. She has a complete (I assume. Well, extensive.) list of works there under "Catalogue", including orchestral works.
Eric

Gareth Vaughan

She lists the orchestral works in the CATALOGUE, but that does not mean that scores of all of these are available. A composer's catalogue of works, as we know, can differ markedly from the list of extant works.
If you go to the PARTITIONS page you will see that no orchestral works are listed as being disponible (available), but scroll to the end of the section and you will see the message: "Pour  le reste de l'œuvre, demander communication de copies à  : Christine Géliot."

eschiss1

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 28 June 2010, 18:10
She lists the orchestral works in the CATALOGUE, but that does not mean that scores of all of these are available. A composer's catalogue of works, as we know, can differ markedly from the list of extant works.
If you go to the PARTITIONS page you will see that no orchestral works are listed as being disponible (available), but scroll to the end of the section and you will see the message: "Pour  le reste de l'œuvre, demander communication de copies à  : Christine Géliot."

Ah, got you now.
Worldcat does list a couple, if that counts (extant in another sense, though parts would have to be obtained by a difficult process):
"Danse sacrée pour orchestre" (at the Free Library of Philadelphia) (pub. 1895) (this may be op. 36/2);
"Sarabande pour orchestre" (likewise, and pub. 1909), (poss. op.81/1).
Eric

Gareth Vaughan

Fleisher (which is part of the Free Library of Philadelphia) has printed score and MS parts of Danse sacree; also her 3 movt. "Suite in  the form of waltzes" (printed score and printed parts). It has only the score of Sarabande. The Pavane and Sarabande are almost certainly the orchestral versions of Opp. 81 and 82 respectively; these were published in their orchestral guise together with a Bourree Op. 62 (originally for piano) as "Trois Danses pour orchestre". An mp3 file of the Pavane can be found here: http://www.musimem.com/audio/Bonis_Pavane.mp3

TerraEpon

I mentioned Bonis earlier in the thread. There's two very worthwhile CDs of her music available that I know of.

eschiss1

Quote from: TerraEpon on Monday 28 June 2010, 20:59
I mentioned Bonis earlier in the thread. There's two very worthwhile CDs of her music available that I know of.
While I don't know how much of the rest is worthwhile she's amassed a reasonable discography (including multiple recordings of some of her sonatas and the piano quartets) - of her songs, piano and chamber music anyhow (nothing so far apparently of her choral and orchestral music). (According to her website.) Which are the two CDs in particular you recommend?

Peter1953

If someone starts a topic Piano Quartet must hear I'll make a strong case for Melanie's opp. 69 & 124  ;)

eschiss1

Quote from: Peter1953 on Monday 28 June 2010, 21:29
If someone starts a topic Piano Quartet must hear I'll make a strong case for Melanie's opp. 69 & 124  ;)
Someone should.  I remember my first encounters with Mozart's first piano quartet very, very well (as a - no good - violist, when all but one violinist of our string ensemble begged out, my first year in college. Couldn't play it except barely, but grew to really love it, unsurprisingly!... and the other, and Brahms' three... ...)
Eric

Glazier

Any opinions of Mathilde Kralik, who was a fellow student of Mahler and Rott in the 1880s?

eschiss1

Quote from: FBerwald on Monday 28 June 2010, 09:11
I once heard a waltz by a female composer on the radio. The announcer called her the "Female Strauss"....Think her (first)? name was Joseffine (???????)...... I cant recollect her full name!!!  :-[  Any idea who it was?
Josephine Lang?
Will keep having a look. That's one possibility...