Wolf Ferrari from CPO

Started by Dundonnell, Saturday 14 January 2012, 19:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

I buy a lot of cds containing music by obscure or semi-forgotten composers and sometimes the music is slightly disappointing ;D

One cd which has given me a lot of pleasure though is the new CPO release of music by Ermanno Wolf Ferrari. The Munich Radio Orchestra under Ulf Schirmer play the composer's charmng Divertimento(a sinfonietta in all but name), a delightful Arabeschi on an Aria by Ettore Tito and the bitter-sweet Suite Veneziana.

Most impressive though, to my ears, is the Trittico, whose first movement is imposing and grand.

A lovely mixture of romanticism and neo-classicism I am inspired to go back to the three previous CPO releases sitting on my shelves , to remind myself what they are like :). These included the Sinfonia breve and the Violin and Cello Concertos.

Recommended :)

febnyc

Thanks for the recommendation - this one has been on my want list for a while and I really need to order it forthwith.  This is because I highly value the music of Wolf-Ferrari, who is one composer undeserving of his obscurity.

ASV have recorded - beautifully - Wolf-Ferrari's Piano Trios.  And his Idillio Concertino is a lovely work.

Christo

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 14 January 2012, 19:09
Recommended :)

You buy CPO cd's at full price! :-\ I always wait til JPC offers them for almost nothing - as is the case with the other three CPO releases of Wolf-Ferrari's orchestral music. ;) Agree about the lyrical Idillio Concertino - a personal favourite ever since I heard it (which was when I was about 16, so please forgive me my youthful enthusiasm for easy-going idylls. 8)

Dundonnell

Johan...

'Patience' is decidedly NOT my middle name ;D ;D ;D

alberto

I share with Dundonnell the pleasure received by the new CPO record.
As a Wolf Ferrari fan I would recommend to others fans, if any, and if the following Cd are in some way available:
-a double Cd MDG 33010/11 containing, besides the two Piano Trios, the String Quintet op. 24 and the Piano Quartet op.9 (with no less than Wolfgang Sawallisch at the piano);
- the three Violin and Piano sonatas - Dynamic CDS 68; C.Rossi vl., M.Vincenzi pf.
-the Kammersymphonie op.8 Thorofon (coupled to Rheinberger Sextet op.191 b), Akademie des Berliner Philharmoniker
(there was at least a Marco Polo alternative recording).
-"La Vita Nuova" cycle on Dante text for soprano, bartone, children's choir and Orchestra (deleted Koch with C.Lindsley, G.Fortune and cond. Roland Bader).

Gareth Vaughan

I heartily agree: "La Vita Nuova" is extraordinarily beautiful. High time that Koch recording made a reappearance.

Christo

Don't you - you all - realize how much remarks like these may cost the innocent music addict? Ordered for La Vita Nuova and the wind concertos immediately.  ;D