New Duttons for February

Started by BFerrell, Saturday 28 January 2012, 14:28

Previous topic - Next topic

BFerrell

CDLX 7283        British Light Music Premieres Vol 6 (Hoddinott/ Mansel Thomas/ Addinsell etc)

7284                                  Foulds and Sainsbury Cello Concertos

7285                                  Edward German Vol 3

7286                                  Christ Wright Violin Conc; Vaughan Williams Sym 5 (world premiere rec of new edition by Peter Horton)

7287                                  Catoire and Sherwood Piano Concertos

7288                                  Frederick Austin: Richard II; Sea Venturers; Spring; Symphony

albion

Excellent! Thanks for this information - I'll be getting at least four of these (Foulds, Sherwood, German and Austin).

:)

Do you have details of what will be on the Edward German disc (hopefully The Seasons)?

???

Mark Thomas

The Catoire and Sherwood PCs combo may be an odd one (on paper at least) but if ever there was a "must buy"...

Peter1953

Oh yes, the Catoire is definitely a must buy, whatever the coupling is  :D

Mark Thomas

OH, I'm very exited about both works.

Dundonnell

Hmmm ???

Some very interesting pieces here which will provide a lot of interesting and enjoyable listening :)

My only quibbles are firstly that the only two substantial works composed after 1945 are the Sainsbury and the Wright concertos which, with all respect to the two composers concerned, would not be at the top of many people's list of British concertos still unrecorded.
Secondly, the Frederick Austin works(the Symphony, 'Spring' and 'The Sea Venturers') have been recorded before by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic under Douglas Bostock on the Classico and RLPO labels. Surely with early 20th century British orchestral repertoire it would have been better to have recorded something new ??? ::)

Sorry to introduce a slightly negative note :( I repeat there IS a lot of good, perhaps very good, music on the Dutton list ;D

Jimfin

Any info on what's on the Ed German disc? Not that it'll stop me ordering it...

Alan Howe

And the source of all this info is...?

JimL

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 28 January 2012, 17:33
Rumors, innuendo, wild speculations and educated guesswork?  ;) ;D

albion

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 28 January 2012, 18:26
Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 28 January 2012, 17:33
Rumors, innuendo, wild speculations and educated guesswork?  ;) ;D

Surely, the good magician never reveals his tricks...

:)

Whilst many of these latest releases will be mandatory purchases for me, as Colin has rightly pointed out there is a weighting towards the pre-war 'accessibles' in Dutton's A & R portfolio. It would be wonderful if they could strike more of a balance with unrecorded music by composers of such stature as Hoddinott, Cooke, Fricker, Gipps and Jones - then the company would really be a modern-day Lyrita!

;D

BFerrell

I was very fortunate to uncover what I did. The source is very involved with the Dutton series.  If I must name a "source" I will not pass on any further information in the future.

violinconcerto

A pity that I have to ask this, but who is "Christ Wright"?

Best,
Tobias

JimL

Quote from: violinconcerto on Saturday 28 January 2012, 19:17
A pity that I have to ask this, but who is "Christ Wright"?

Best,
Tobias
A slip of the finger, or a composer with delusions of godhood? ??? ;D

Dundonnell

Dutton issued a cd completely devoted to Christopher Wright's music in 2009(CDLX 7240) and added his Oboe Concerto a year later(CDLX 7249).

Fortunate indeed is Mr. Wright :)