New Duttons for February

Started by BFerrell, Saturday 28 January 2012, 14:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

The Dutton website appears to be down at the moment: wonder if they're uploading details of their February releases...?

Alan Howe

BFerrell

Alan Howe

Christo

Alan Howe

albion

Quote from: Tapiola on Saturday 28 January 2012, 14:28[CDLX]7287                                  Catoire and Sherwood Piano Concertos

The pianist will be Hiroaki Takenouchi accompanied by the RSNO.

If my information is correct, a third composer on the disc will be Lawrance Collingwood (1887-1982). He wrote a Concerto, and also a Poem for Piano and Orchestra entitled Russia (1920) the autograph full score of which is at the RCM.

:)

Christopher

Quote from: Albion on Tuesday 07 February 2012, 16:45
Quote from: Tapiola on Saturday 28 January 2012, 14:28[CDLX]7287                                  Catoire and Sherwood Piano Concertos

The pianist will be Hiroaki Takenouchi accompanied by the RSNO.

If my information is correct, a third composer on the disc will be Lawrance Collingwood (1887-1982). He wrote a Concerto, and also a Poem for Piano and Orchestra entitled Russia (1920) the autograph full score of which is at the RCM.

:)

Will the "Russia" piece also be on the disc?   It is a piece to add to the (currently short) list of music written by Brits about Russia or Russian themes....(see stream on that subject)

M. Henriksen

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 28 January 2012, 14:54
Secondly, the Frederick Austin works(the Symphony, 'Spring' and 'The Sea Venturers') have been recorded before by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic under Douglas Bostock on the Classico and RLPO labels. Surely with early 20th century British orchestral repertoire it would have been better to have recorded something new?

Great do see Dutton record these works anyway, and Richard II must be a first recording? Maybe Dutton will release a second Austin disc in the future, there are surely more compositions from him that looks interesting. But I don't know the condition of the scores and so on. His early symphonic poem Isabella and the 4 movement Palsgaard - Danish Sketches for large orchestra could be a starting point for a second volume!? There's also some incidental music and orchestral songs if I'm not mistaken.
Maybe other members have any knowledge of the availability of Austin's scores?

Morten

giles.enders

I understand that there was not room on the Catoire/Sherwood CD for the Collingwood work and that will be issued later. Hiro Takenouchi, the pianist on the disk will be playing some solo pieces by Catoire and the Rachmaninov Sonata No.2 at Conway Hall at 5pm on Sunday19th Feb.

Alan Howe

A phone call to Dutton today indicates that the new releases won't be available for another 2-3 weeks yet.

Alan Howe

You can google them, but you can't order them (yet!)...
Q: Is the recording of Austin's Symphony the same as the one which appeared on ClassicO :( ?

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 22 February 2012, 08:48Q: Is the recording of Austin's Symphony the same as the one which appeared on ClassicO :( ?

Yes, the Austin disc is largely a conflation of deleted recordings that originally appeared on the ClassicO and RLPO labels. The wholly-new recording is of the early Richard II Overture. Whilst several members may already have the re-issued works in their earlier incarnations, it makes good sense to present a full single-composer disc showcasing some of Austin's finest music and ensure it's wider circulation.

I'm very pleased to see that the Edward German disc fills in some useful gaps in terms of his incidental music, especially Much Ado about Nothing and a more extensive selection from Henry VIII than is usually heard, but the stand-out items in terms of enterprise are probably the Foulds and Sherwood Concertos.

febnyc

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 22 February 2012, 10:52
, but the stand-out items in terms of enterprise are probably the Foulds and Sherwood Concertos.

I wonder.  If the Sainsbury Cello Concerto is anything like his superb Violin Concerto...