Dohnanyi - Symphony No. 1

Started by JSK, Friday 06 November 2009, 09:16

Previous topic - Next topic

JSK

Dohnanyi is a little bit less "unsung" that some of the other composers discussed on this forum. I am very impressed by this symphony and was wondering if anyone else here has any opinions on the work or the composer or better yet any recommendations of other works by Dohnanyi which I should listen to next. The only other work I know is the Serenade for String Trio.

Jamie

I would strongly recommend Dohnanyi's PC #1 in e minor, opus 5. In 1899, there was a PC competition sponsored by the Bösendorfer piano company. Seventy two entries were received and a panel of judges picked the best three. These were performed in Vienna and the audience voted for the winner: this PC. It is a wonderful work that opens with a full orchestral statement (which has been likened to the opening of Brahms' 1st symphony) of a theme that first occurred to Dohnanyi when he was 6. Beautiful melodies abound with excellent piano writing. The slow movement is the highlight of the piece in my opinion with a doleful melody played by the solo french horn that recurs triumphantly at the end of the finale. I first became acquainted with this piece in the early 70's when the Balint Vaszonyi recording was released on Genesis. My favorite current recording is the Hyperion romantic PC series #6, played by Martin Roscoe.

mbhaub

I really like the Variations on a Nursery Song. Get Boult on EMI. Very enjoyable, and shows Dohnanyi's sense of humor.

Peter1953

Welcome to the Forum, Jamie. I can only echo your words. And his 2nd PC is not bad either!

JimL

IMHO the Dohnanyi 2nd PC is one of the great neglected 20th Century piano concertos.  As much as its rhetorical mode is rooted in the 19th Century, the acerbic nature of the material and the orchestration are firmly 20th Century and mark Dohnanyi as an original voice in any age.

Pengelli

Very underated. We could also do with some cd's of his choral
music and opera's.

Amphissa

A few weeks ago, I had the great pleasure of attending a concert at the newly renovated Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center. On the program was Dohnanyi's Piano Quintet No. 2 in E-flat major, Op. 26. I have recordings of a number of his pieces, but had never heard this before. And I'm surprised, because it is quite good.

I also like his Konzertstück for Cello and Orchestra in D major, Op. 12 (a cello concerto) and his cello sonatas.

Peter1953

JSK, both VC's are very recommendable too. I think Dohnányi's music is an interesting field to explore. You will find some really unsung gems.

Mark Thomas

Yes, Dohnanyi is very rewarding and, like Martin, I really rate his Variations on a Nursery Song. A magnificently portentous opening which caps even that of Brahms' First Piano Concerto and then pouf! punctured by "Twinkle, twinkle little star". Delicious.

Hovite

Quote from: Amphissa on Saturday 07 November 2009, 02:57
Dohnanyi's Piano Quintet No. 2 in E-flat major, Op. 26.

His chamber music is particularly fine, better (I feel) than the symphonies.

In addition to the other works mentioned above, there are some symphonic suites to watch out for: Suite in F-sharp minor, Ruralia Hungarica, Symphonic Minutes, and a suite from The Veil of Pierrette (which includes a Merry Funeral March).

I fear that he suffers from being pigeon holed as a "Hungarian" composer. His music is closer to Brahms than to Liszt. But perhaps this should be expected, as he was born in Bratislava, which is closer to Vienna than to Budapest, and is now in Slovakia.

Pengelli

I remember hearing the Variations playing in a record shop, when
I was a teenager ,(Entremont). I said,'I want to buy that'.