Julius Benedict (1804-1885) - orchestral, choral and dramatic works

Started by albion, Monday 14 May 2012, 17:23

Previous topic - Next topic

pcc

I'm glad not that I was persuasive, but that the music was!  The comment about the beginning of the second mvt resembling "Enigma" is a nice point, as is the likening to Bruch and Hiller.  I can certainly hear that in the orchestration.  Thanks for taking the trouble, and, likewise, maybe I need to go back and work on my Wagner appreciation!  :)

semloh

In light of these exchanges, I will give the symphony another listen. I tend to choose the CFP recording of Lily excerpts instead, when I'm after some Benedict, my impression having been that is was, indeed, a rather bland composition!  :)

pcc

I think this forum has established that "bland" is a word fraught with danger...Beware! Beware! ;)

Mark Thomas

semloh

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Friday 17 August 2012, 07:55
Quite, Semloh, be prepared to eat your words!

Chomp. chomp. chomp ....................

...........that's the sound of me eating my words!  ;D

I have always liked it but thought of it as rather lightweight, but I've listened to it three times today, and it's much more engaging and substantial than I recalled. He really is an unjustly Unsung Composer!

eschiss1

I need to consider adding a list, if brief, for his son Milo Ellsworth Benedict's compositions. Just saying. That said, Julius Benedict seems to need a reappraisal, agreed - thanks.