Glière Symphony No.3 'Ilya Murometz'

Started by mbhaub, Sunday 12 February 2012, 00:08

Previous topic - Next topic

dhibbard

@MartinH

Yes, they (Fleisher) said I would have to make my own copies... and then some items they would not lend... I would have to come there to copy them....uggg

adriano

@dhibbard
Apparently there is a copy on the way to me (from another source). As soon as it arrives, I will let you know, so I can make a copy for you.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteHere's a list of just a few things I've tried to acquire for performance recently:

1. Victor Herbert: Festival March.
2. Robert Farnon: Westminster Waltz.
3. Albert Ketelbey: Cockney Suite.

There used to be a set of parts for Ketelbey's "Cockney Suite" in the Birmingham Conservatoire - and they used to lend them through inter-library loan. Whether they still do or not, I don't know. And you may have already tried this avenue and hit a dead end.

dhibbard

@hadrianus

Yes.... thank you....  sorry I have had too much wine tonight.... this CoVid-19 issue has made me buy too much wine..  I now have a huge stash of red and white wine to keep me and the wife happy!!    Ha!!     I am resorting to listenting to Mozart (best of on Naxos) to keep everyone happy!!

Christopher

@Hadrianus - do you mean this Soviet documentary "Berlin" (made in 1945)?  https://youtu.be/XXQrWYeFm8c  Ilya Muromets is audible at 12 minutes but it doesn't last for long...

adriano

Thanks Cristopher - this is it: I did not know that it was posted on YouTube!
Anyway, a copy is now on the way to me...
I saw it for the first time at the Mosfilm archive in the 1990s
Very odd that this heroic Romantic "legend" music - having nothing in common with Communism - is being used for propaganda purposes. But Hitler too, he used Liszt's "Les Préludes" as a signal of his Reichssender...

Justin

Is the extract that they're using the beginning of the fourth movement? If so, I can see why they used it as it represents an "imminent threat," followed by the scenes of the artillery in the film.

adriano

Will analyse this soundtrack once I have received the video. I am too busy at the moment, Justin.

Justin

Leon Botstein's performance with "The Orchestra Now," dating from 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-5DibKadVg

sdtom

I know people really don't want to know this but the symphony was used in the Lone Ranger episodes on the radio.

Justin

Is there a certain episode we can listen to with this symphony? I'm interested in hearing how it fits with the story.

sdtom

eschiss1

IMDb which often lists use of composer's music in TV and movie soundtracks doesn't mention any Glière in the Lone Ranger (see Glière entry) but this might be an oversight/incompleteness. Without checking the entries for all the episodes of the Lone Ranger I can't see if any of them list any music other than the Rossini...

soundwave106

The Lone Ranger (apparently both in its TV and radio incarnations) apparently used a lot of classical music aside from the Rossini, not all of them well known pieces. For instance, I found a TalkClassical thread where someone asked to identify the music in this clip. It ended up being a fast tempo version of Joseph Hellmesberger's "Storm Scene (Gewitterszene)" - not sure about its status in the 1950s, but that's quite an obscure piece these days. I don't think a complete lists exists in official credits, as the pieces were chosen because they were considered public domain compositions. Someone's put together a book with all the references he could find though.

Alan Howe

And with that, let's return to the topic - unless, that is, someone can unearth which parts of the Glière are used in The Lone Ranger.