Grieg Symphony in C minor

Started by sdtom, Sunday 12 February 2012, 17:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Amphissa

I have several recordings of this.

There is a CD on the Decca Eloquence label that pairs the Grieg Symphony with another unsung, Goldmark's Rustic Wedding Symphony.

Vol 4 of Grieg's Symphonic Works on Audite SACD by Aadland conducting the WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln.

There's a Naxos recording, of course.

There is Neeme Jarvi's take on DGG.

And on LP, Andersen with the Bergen Symphony.

Grieg is not really unsung, but I suppose this work is played less often than his other orchestral works. It's rather generic and has no real sense of national roots. The engineering of the recordings is variable of course. I rather like the Eloquence pressing, maybe because I prefer the coupling on the disc. The SACD audio of the Aadland recording is good -- in comparison, the Jarvi sounds rather strident. But I have so many recordings of the Grieg Piano Concerto that I never put this on the deck for listening.

eschiss1

At the moment, the one part of this symphony I find really memorable is the Scherzo, but I do find it striking...

alberto

I don't listen the Grieg Symphony since some years (I own various versions). But since the days of Lp (I had the Andersen version, maybe the first and the only one in vinyl days) I retain in my memory the Scherzo.