Stunning piano concerto openings

Started by Peter1953, Sunday 03 May 2009, 09:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob H

Quote from: Michael Schlechtriem on Saturday 17 October 2009, 13:35
Here is  a legal download of the Künneke- Concerto. It is a Radio Broadcast and a Radio- Production and so abolutely legal. By the way: It is far better played.......
http://rs92gc.rapidshare.com/files/294183474/K__nneke.zip

Hi, I am having the same problem that Dennis had - I have tried typing the link and I have tried cutting and pasting the link but I get the same result each time - ERROR - file not found or link not found.
Can you help at all,
thanks
Rob

Rob H

Thanks so much - I love this concerto. It's a shame that it doesn't appear to have a companion.
Rob

reineckeforever

hello, I am from Italy and new on this forum   (great!!)
About stunning opening of PC, I'd like to mention Brull 2nd...and Somervell's Highlands PC
best regards
Andrea

JollyRoger

While these composers are not of the romantic era, to miss these magnificent openers would be a tragedy.
Alexander Tcherepnin Op. 12  CONCERTO NO. 1 (1919–20)
Sergei Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 1 in D-flat, Op. 10 (1911–12)
(I know, I digress)

eschiss1

Thanks for mentioning the Prokofiev, though.
Martucci (I guess 1 and 2 qualify, especially 2) already were mentioned - on page 1...
(I am guessing some of these were inspired by another grand, chromatic, striking opening outside our bailiwick on the other end -- of Mozart K491, one of my favorites among -his- works... )
I find the opening of Scharwenka 3 more memorable personally- ... maybe because it keeps reminding me of an important motive from the Death and the Maiden Quartet first movement. (It's also beautiful, but ok, I agree it's perhaps not quite stunning/grand-gestured enough. What belongs here- hrm. There's a -very- stunning piano concerto opening - or is it a finale-opening?... - on the tip of my mind but even if it hasn't been mentioned in 10 pages here, it may not be unsung, either... hrm.)
(Likewise the opening of the Draeseke concerto probably appeals so much to me - "music does not lie to the heart" (?) and I find myself humming that opening quite a bit - anyhow,  more for subjective reasons than for anything having to do with this thread, though ah, I'll nominate it :) )

Alan Howe

The Draeseke is especially effective in the Hyperion recording - much better than the MDG with its clattery piano.

petershott@btinternet.com

Acquire the Hyperion CD of the Draeseke (stunning well beyond its opening, and stunningly well performed) and, fortunate purchaser, and you also acquire the two Jadassohn piano concertos. Not so obviously impressive as the Draeseke (which to my mind is a masterwork that should be regularly performed in our concert halls) - but stick with them and their considerable merits will steadily grow on you.

Alan Howe

semloh

The Albeniz Piano Concerto - 'Concerto Fantastico' - has a rather impressive opening.  :)

JimL

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Monday 03 September 2012, 10:13
Acquire the Hyperion CD of the Draeseke (stunning well beyond its opening, and stunningly well performed) and, fortunate purchaser, and you also acquire the two Jadassohn piano concertos. Not so obviously impressive as the Draeseke (which to my mind is a masterwork that should be regularly performed in our concert halls) - but stick with them and their considerable merits will steadily grow on you.
The opening of Jadassohn PC 2 sure sticks with me!

kolaboy

Gade's 5th Symphony/Piano Concerto does it for me. Beautiful opening theme, and a few unexpected melodic turns here and there as the piece developes...

But then, I'm quite conservative :)

Alan Howe

markniew

I am not sure if the PC by Paderewski with enetgetic opening or his Polish Phantasy have been mentioned

FBerwald

Lyapunov Piano concerto No. 2 .... The muted string intro is quite beautiful.