Stunning piano concerto openings

Started by Peter1953, Sunday 03 May 2009, 09:30

Previous topic - Next topic

peter_conole

Hi all

Especially Syrelius.

Some good news a la the Lalo piano concerto. It was recorded on the Signum label in 1995. Along with his Symphony in G Minor, Scherzo for Orchestra and Romance-Serenade for violin ad orchestra.

I just checked out Amazon.com. There was one new and about 6 used copies on offer. So it is still around.

regards
Peter 

izdawiz

Hey everbody, here are some picks that have not been mentioned before

-Montague Phillips Piano concertos on Dutton@Label
-Bendix Piano Concerto on Danacord@label Danish Piano Concertos Volume 3 I believe

As well as Saint-Saens whom might not be too much of a unsung but here it is anyway 5th "egyptian" Piano Concert 1st movment is delightful also Africa fantasy beautiful tunes.

TerraEpon

I think Saint-Saens 1st has a better opening than the 5th, IMO...

As for Lalo, the "old Vox CD", a 2CD set of French piano concerti, is well worth acquiring even with the less-than-great sound. All sorts of unsung goodies on it.

Yavar Moradi

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 04 May 2009, 22:27
Stunningly beautiful and memorable: Reinecke PC3.

It's all a matter of taste, I suppose, but I prefer 1 and 4, though I like 3 better than 2.

Yavar

Alan Howe

Reinecke No.3 had established itself as the great PC of that era - presumably until Brahms' PCs became the new standard. No.3 is the stand-out of Reinecke's four PCs - it has a breadth that is quite unlike the Mendelssohn-plus character of the other three. Of course, I like the others too.

Ilja

Quote from: TerraEpon on Wednesday 06 May 2009, 03:07
I think Saint-Saens 1st has a better opening than the 5th, IMO...

As for Lalo, the "old Vox CD", a 2CD set of French piano concerti, is well worth acquiring even with the less-than-great sound. All sorts of unsung goodies on it.

You can still download it from eMusic, even:

http://www.emusic.com/album/Various-Various-French-Piano-Concertos-MP3-Download/11244060.html

Without the notes, but they weren't much to begin with...

Syrelius

Quote from: peter_conole on Tuesday 05 May 2009, 18:25
Hi all

Especially Syrelius.

Some good news a la the Lalo piano concerto. It was recorded on the Signum label in 1995. Along with his Symphony in G Minor, Scherzo for Orchestra and Romance-Serenade for violin ad orchestra.

I just checked out Amazon.com. There was one new and about 6 used copies on offer. So it is still around.

regards
Peter

Thanks for the information, Peter!

Jonathan

I rather like the doom laden entry in Scharwenka's 4th concerto.  Marvellous stuff!

JimL

Forgot about that one.  It's a good one, too!  If we expand the thread to cover any and all concertante works for piano, the beginning of the Dreyschock Konzertstuck still raises goosebumps on the back of my neck.  Now there's a work that's waaay, waaay overdue for a new recording!

Peter1953

Jim, I have Dreyschock's PC coupled with the Kullak on Hyperion, and although I think Kullak is absolutely superior, Dreyschock's PC is not unpleasant, on the contrary. Then I have a few disks "Romantische Klaviermusik", a series by Michael Krücker on NCA, one of them filled with some of Dreyschock's piano music. Lovely pieces. But I am eager to learn his Konzertstück.

I know another stunning PC opening and that is Friedrich Kuhlau's concerto in C major. The rest of the concerto is great too, but reminds me very much of Beethoven's 1st. A compliment for Kuhlau.

JimL

Peter I have the Kullak/Dreyschock CD, and I'm in full agreement with you.  It's a pity that Dreyschock didn't compose a more memorable piano concerto, but very little of it sticks in my memory compared with the Konzertstuck (or the Kullak concerto, for that matter.)  Unfortunately, the only recording of the Konzertstuck ever made was the old Genesis LP by Frank Cooper, coupled with the Raff Piano Concerto.  Neither performance has ever been re-released on CD.

Hofrat

How about a very unsung PC by a very sung composer:  Beethoven's piano concerto movement in D-major from 1815 (Hess 15) as finished by Nicholas Cook.  Available through Inedita. 

JimL

Another couple of concerto beginnings that I find stunning are the Napravnik and the Paderewski - both in A Minor, and both premiered by Mme. Anna Essipova.

Steven Eldredge

Jim,

The Paderewski Concerto is one of my top favorite neglected 19th century concertos. A really glorious piece, big tunes, flashy piano part (especially as tarted up by Earl Wild!) and altogether satisfying. Along with the Henselt and the Raff and the Rubinstein #4 I would have to say it's my favorite.

Another concerto that was quite popular back in the day is the Moscheles in g minor, which has a really wonderful sort of tarantella finale.

There are so many lovely piano concertos out there besides the 15-20 that are always performed these days.

JimL

Steven - don't get me started on Moscheles.  Which actually means do get me started on Moscheles, but do it when I have more time to dissemble.  Let's just say the G Minor (3rd) Moscheles Concerto is just the tip of the iceberg.  It's 10:40 in the P.M. out here and I'm hittin' the hay.  G'night all.