Stunning piano concerto openings

Started by Peter1953, Sunday 03 May 2009, 09:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Yes Jim, it's absolutely a fine concerto, but can you really speak of a "stunning" opening? No, you wrote "Marvellous", but is it? There are more appealing examples, I think. Just to mention one, how about Kuhlau's op. 7? Never mind, it's all based on a personal taste, so there is no right or wrong opinion. The opening of the third movement is rather unusual. Quite something different than the thrilling start of Henselt's finale.

What do you think of the Fuchs? I much more like his PC, but that must have something to do with my adoration for Brahms...

JimL

Quote from: Peter1953 on Thursday 28 May 2009, 10:01
Yes Jim, it's absolutely a fine concerto, but can you really speak of a "stunning" opening? No, you wrote "Marvellous", but is it?
Oh yes, absolutely!  Of course, I'm a big timpani fan! :)

The Fuchs is a fine concerto, but I don't like the opening as much as I do the Kiel.

Mark Thomas

I'm in Sweden, at the recording sessions for Raff's Suite for Piano & Orchestra. Although I've heard it played live once before, the orchestra for that performance was enthusuaistic but hardly top flight. Today I've had the pleasure of hearing first class soloist, orchestra and conductor refine this opening over three takes into something which I found quite spine tingling. The way the short tutti builds the tension over just very few bars to announce an electric piano entry should make a genuinely "stunning" beginning to the recording.

Syrelius

Quote from: peter_conole on Tuesday 05 May 2009, 18:25
Hi all

Especially Syrelius.

Some good news a la the Lalo piano concerto. It was recorded on the Signum label in 1995. Along with his Symphony in G Minor, Scherzo for Orchestra and Romance-Serenade for violin ad orchestra.

I just checked out Amazon.com. There was one new and about 6 used copies on offer. So it is still around.

regards
Peter

Hi Peter,

I managed to get hold of a copy of the Lalo PC. It is on their low-budget label Christoforus nowadays. :)

I agree with you about the concerto - it's really a find, especially the opening.

JimL

Sorry guys, I've never been particularly impressed by the Lalo PC.  It just strikes me as rather four-square and overblown.  Plus, it's supposed to be in F Minor, but in the first movement, at least, it only spends around a minute there, preferring to hang out around A-flat Major or F Major the rest of the time.

Peter1953

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Monday 15 June 2009, 20:46
I'm in Sweden, at the recording sessions for Raff's Suite for Piano & Orchestra.

Mark, attending the recording of this Raff jewel must be an exciting happening! I'm very much looking forward to the release of the CD. Another present from Santa Claus or can we expect it perhaps already in the (late) autumn?

Mark Thomas

Santa Claus should just about be able to deliver it, if the current schedule doesn't slip...

Peter1953

I'm sure every Raffian has something exciting to look out for! I've just listened to the 5 audio excerpts on the Raff website again (from what year is this recording?). How sparkling the Gavotte sounds and what a most beautiful Largetto...

Mark Thomas

It's a very special piece which I have loved for years. Sitting in on the recording and hearing it over and over again played by intelligent and very capable musicians has meant that I have found so much more in it than I had heard over the last 8 years of listening to the same flat Swiss radio broadcast.

I don't think that anybody buying the CD when it's available will be disappointed with either the music or its execution.

Alan Howe

I'm very glad to hear about the excellent progress being made with the recording. And thanks for the updates!

Gareth Vaughan

I too am very excited to hear Mark's news of the sessions for Raff's Suite for piano and orchestra. This work, his Op. 200, is not only one of his most splendid compositions but it is a major work in the concertante piano repertoire and IMHO a true masterpiece. It's utter neglect until very recently is simply staggering. I look forward to purchasing the CD in due course - what a treat that will be!

Mark Thomas

The Suite is now "in the bag" and we are now on to recording the overtures and preludes which will fill out the CD.

FBerwald

Since we are talking about Stunning piano concerto openings any opinion on the Tchaikovski Piano concerto no 2 ??
Also the Poulenc Piano concerto 1st movement (NOT the 2-piano concerto)!

Alan Howe

Has anyone tried Julius Röntgen's PC2 on Donemus? A stunningly beautiful opening to a truly marvellous work.

JimL

How about a recent acquisition?  The opening of the Bortkiewicz #2 (for the left hand) is the epitome of thrilling.  How can you beat an Allegro drammatico? :)