Dohnanyi Piano Music

Started by petershott@btinternet.com, Monday 13 February 2012, 10:31

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

Just in case others are dithering over a possible acquisition, I offer an unqualified thumbs up to the first volume (of a projected series of four) of Martin Roscoe's new disc for Hyperion.

Some of Dohnanyi's piano works have been recorded elsewhere - Naxos, for example, and with two different pianists, seemed to have got as far as a Volume 2 but then the series has fizzled out.

But Roscoe would seem to fit Dohnanyi admirably - these are fine and commanding readings, and with the considerable advantage of Hyperion's recording.

I've never encountered before the Four Rhapsodies, Op 11 (1902-03). As Dohnanyi himself conceded these four pieces, although independent, can almost be thought of as a sonata. His last composition for piano, the Three Singular Pieces, Op. 44 (1951), can also be heard as a single unified work. And I thought it a very amusing and humorous work.

Yet more evidence that Hyperion is certainly part of the indispensable furniture of a happy universe. Roll on, volumes 2, 3 and 4!

Mark Thomas

Jonathan

Yes, there was also a series on Continuum CDs with Annette Servedei which I heard ages ago, I'm fairly sure she didn't finish her set though.  Volumes 1 and 2 were excellent and it was a shame she stopped there.  At least we can hope Hyperion will finish this one, unlike Continuum and Naxos!

This is another one which was added to my wishlist the minute I found out about it.  :)

jameswesthead

I received an e-mail from Simon Perry of Hyperion last week (17th February), having asked him about the time scales for the completion of the Dohnanyi Piano Music series from Martin Roscoe. He said that the second disc is already recorded and plans are in place to record the third later this year. Timescales for the fourth rather depend on Mr.Roscoe.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Volume 1 is certainly a superb CD. The Four Rhapsodies Op.11, for example, (which the composer described as a sort of loosely arranged sonata) are absolutely wonderful music, synthesising as they do the styles and forms of Liszt and Brahms, and Martin Roscoe's playing is beyond praise, being fully up to both the virtuoso demands of these pieces and their romance-filled poetic dimension. Marvellous!

petershott@btinternet.com

Almost a year ago I conveyed my enthusiasm about the first volume of Martin Roscoe's projected series of Dohnanyi piano works on Hyperion.

That enthusiasm hasn't waned at all, and Volume 2 increases it. We have here the marvellous 'Humoresques in the form of a suite', a mature work from 1907 where Dohnanyi recaptures earlier musical eras and forms. But for me the centre piece of the disc, and an astonishing one, is the 'Variations and Fugue on a theme of EG'. And no, I'm not going to impart the identity of EG - buy the disc and find out for yourselves! It is a fairly early work (Op. 4 from 1898) composed shortly after his graduation and after a course of lessons from d'Albert. I didn't know the work before, and will for a good time remain wiggling my toes in sheer pleasure at it.

Nor did I know the Four Piano Pieces, Op. 2, composed when Dohnanyi was a student in Budapest. Maybe one shouldn't identify it as a 'student work' for that carries the implicit suggestion that maybe it is less than a fully rewarding work. Not so at all - I think it easily suggestive of a masterpiece.

In all this Martin Roscoe is absolutely.....well, 'phew! Wonderful performances without any qualification - as is the recording (in fact for those of the audio brigade, one of the best piano recordings I've encountered recently). Once more, huge grateful thanks to Hyperion...and roll on Volume 3 (and 4!).

I 'knew' (i.e. assumed I did) some of Dohnanyi's piano works from other recordings, but it was not until this Martin Roscoe / Hyperion series that I recognised its true worth in piano literature. In all of it one can almost sense the spirit of Brahms smiling over Dohnanyi's shoulders. He died of course in 1897, just as Dohnanyi was starting his compositional career. (Can spirits smile? Aw heck, you know what I mean!)

Mark Thomas

I'm with you 100% on volume 2, Peter. Absolutely wonderful music, played to perfection. And yes, the Variations and Fugue on a theme of EG is absolutely the pick of the bunch. Can't wait until volume 3, now.