News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Pejacevic Symphony

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 17 February 2012, 22:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

It's a while since I bought the cpo recording of Dora Pejacevic's Symphony in F sharp minor, so I decided to give the CD another spin. And what a gorgeous work it is - a sort of first cousin to Rachmaninov in idiom, I suppose, but actually quite individual in effect. If friends haven't investigated this extremely attractive piece, I recommend it to your attention...

thalbergmad

An excellent work, but I thought it rather overshadowed by the Phantasie Concertante on the same disk.

A composer to watch out for in the future.

Thal

Peter1953

I find her Symphony rather masculine, but please don't ask me why. It's just a feeling while listening. However, I like it too.
On my wantlist is the CD with her Piano Trio and Cello Sonata. What is your opinion of these works?

Kevin Pearson

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I just discovered this symphony and I have to say it's really a wonderful work. I especially enjoy the third movement. One of the most beautiful movements ever in my opinion. This piece deserves a place in anyone's library of unsungs!

Kevin

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Quote from: Peter1953 on Saturday 18 February 2012, 09:46
I find her Symphony rather masculine, but please don't ask me why. It's just a feeling while listening. However, I like it too.
On my wantlist is the CD with her Piano Trio and Cello Sonata. What is your opinion of these works?

Those particular ones I don't know, but I have somewhere at home a Croatian-made disc of Croatian works for violin and piano that includes her violin sonata (I think it's called the "Slavic" or "Slavonic").  Really quite lovely - if her other chamber works are as fine I'm sure they are quite good.

And yes, I am a huge fan of the symphony as well...it was one of my "mad" purchases around the beginning of the year, and I've been quite pleased with it.