News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Classical music in general

Started by JimL, Saturday 18 February 2012, 23:00

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

Perhaps, but each new generation has to discover the "sungs" first.   Sometimes I think we tend to forget how excited WE were the first time we heard the Brahms First, Beethoven's Ninth or a Rachmaninoff concerto.....

Dundonnell

Quote from: JimL on Monday 20 February 2012, 15:39
Hand out free spliff to anybody who wants it as you exit the hall after the concert?  ;D 8) :P :o

Enter or exit?  ;D

If it was enter then it might persuade them to sit still quietly and listen ;D

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 20 February 2012, 16:06
Hand out free spliff to anybody who wants it as you exit the hall after the concert?  ;D 8) :P :o

Enter or exit?  ;D

On the other hand, it might result in an increase in coughing! ;D

JimL

Quote from: Lionel Harrsion on Monday 20 February 2012, 17:30
Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 20 February 2012, 16:06

Enter or exit?  ;D

On the other hand, it might result in an increase in coughing! ;D
If it's exit, they'll have to come in and sit through it!>\" ;D"/<

Alan Howe

Quote from: jerfilm on Monday 20 February 2012, 15:58
Sometimes I think we tend to forget how excited WE were the first time we heard the Brahms First, Beethoven's Ninth or a Rachmaninoff concerto.....

I'm still excited when I hear these pieces in really good new performances, whether recorded or live. The key for me is to avoid over-exposure...

semloh

One of my gripes is that the folk at ABC Radio (Australia) seem to think that classical music is inadequate and needs to be supplemented throughout by doses of improvised jazz, folk music and 'ethnic' music.

We actually turn on Classic FM because we want to hear classical music - duh! - not the Arabian oud, not the latest Australian modern jazz combo, not some pseudo-Celtic folk song, not Frank Sinatra, and not The Sound of Music - all of which feature regularly among the oddments of real classical music which make up the 3-hour morning programme! It's as if they think that listeners will get fed up with 'just' classical music. I nearly fell into my breakfast plate the other morning when they actually played a movement from an Alfred Hill string quartet! Australian, classical, and not mainstream - wow!

And that's another bone of contention - they only play single movements and excerpts - rarely anything longer than, perhaps, 10 minutes. It's like an art gallery covering over 75% of each exhibit. Can you imagine it? "Next is the Mona Lisa, and today we're showing you the upper left quadrant! - after that we'll look at the right-hand edge of van Gogh's Sunflowers!"

Sorry, but at least I feel better now that's off my chest!!  ;D ;D ;D

Do radio stations do the same in Europe or the States?

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: semloh on Monday 20 February 2012, 18:51
Do radio stations do the same in Europe or the States?
Classic FM does in UK, I regret to say.  :(

JimL

KUSC, the publicly supported station of the University of Southern California prides itself on playing whole works.  After a stint in conservative talk radio, AM 1260, which I believe is once more KMZT has returned to a classical music format, and supposedly does play single movements but I haven't caught them at it yet.  They do something more annoying, which I will kvetch about later.

jerfilm

Well Minnesota Public Radio plays full pieces and I think satellite Sirius "Symphony" channel does too. 

J

mbhaub

In the Phoenix, AZ area we have a classical station, KBAQ, which rarely plays long symphonies. If they do, it's either late night or morning. They mostly play shorter works, and a lot of baroque, which in general I can't stand. THey seem to know when I am going to listen since 9 times out of 10 it seems that I tune in to a baroque trumpet concert -- the worst things imaginable. They also play too much solo music (Harpsichord, guitar, cello...). But I can't remember the last time they played a major symphony. I don't listen all that much any more, preferring my own cds. But mercifully, there is no jazz, no world music, and no talk shows.

Amphissa

I've given up on most radio. But I got hooked on WQXR when I lived in NY. And now their website also includes Operavore and WNYC. They do play complete symphonies and concertos, including a lot of concerts locally in NYC and in-house recordings of artists. Available on internet streams.

The Sirius radio channel is actually pretty boring. When I rented cars when traveling, I'll often set it to the Symphony channel. But they play an awful lot of Bach and Mozart, which I don't really care for.

Luckily, there are many good streaming classical services online.